how I avoid fail print and lines (especially on b9emerald)

This section will include any new tips and tutorials related to the Solus.
Waever
Novice
how I avoid fail print and lines (especially on b9emerald)

Postby Waever » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi Guys

I've had My Solus for almos 2 years. It is a great printer and a great community. i learn a lot through this forum.
Whenever i have problems with my prints, browsing through forum help a lot. And i want to compile what i learn in this thread.
I am sure most of you sometimes have fail print, or having visible lines on your print. Then you redo the calibration but still no success.
Here's some tip that i want to share after 3 months of hell.

1. Build Platform Calibration.
The video instruction mention hold the platform while tightening. It says "hold". Somehow naturally most of us (me included) would press down the platform so hard. It is bad.
During printing, on early layer will get squished so hard. Then the build up layer pressure can cause either random lines or regular interval lines on the print and even fail print.
You might want to experiment with thicker paper like the 100gr or 220gr paper as the spacer. I even use 220gr and 90gr paper combine together as spacer. Then lightly hold the platform while tightening.
Here's the pic result
Image20170922_170250 by dennys -, on Flickr
The right fail print has too much pressure. Sometimes the squished out layer will can becomes floater and cause fail print too.
Left just the right calibration. See how the bottom of support is cleaner on the left.

2. Gravity Tension
So i've been using Solus for almost 2 years. Film tensioning when installing the Vat is always a hit or miss process for me (LOL). I want an easier and more control ways of tensioning. So i did a research along with other Solus user dcpattni. This is what we did
1. full tension
2. barely tighten
3. tighten and some turn back
4. no tightening the thumbscrew at all.
Image20170911_174639 by dennys -, on Flickr
On picture from left to right no. 1,2,3,4
Only 2 success print. No.3 and 4.
The best surface result is no. 4 which is no tightening at all. I am sure in early using of Solus some of us forget to install the thumbscrew. But the print result still some out great.
So here's how i install my vat now. Please don't laugh. If it looks dumb but it works, then it works. LOL
Image20170912_135412 by dennys -, on Flickr
You will suprise by the VAT movement up and down while printing. But it's ok. During the vat movement, it can cause the thumbscrew to tighten or even dislodge itself. So i use M4 2.5cm screw to replace thumbscrew.

3. Z lift speed and distance
Get lower z lift speed and higher distance for bigger model.
The last 3 months i only have average 1 success out 5 print using b9emerald. The i vaguely remember look at some thread and how the TS mention he lower the Z lift spees to 80.
So i tried 80. Yes 4 success out of 5 print using b9emerald. Then i go lower to 50 and the result is the best smooth surface i ever print since first i own Solus.
From my obervation when print large surface object, During the quartz tilting it wont be a complete layer peel off, some film area will still on peeling off process when the build platform goes up. So sometimes raise the z lift distance to 5 helps with clean layer peel off.

4. Exposure buffer times
The normal setting is 1. I raise it to 2.
It gives time for the resin and the printed layer to settle nicely and help avoid bubbles before the next layer exposure starts.
I printed a flat cross with exposure buffer is 1 and failed three times. I can see some bubble trap at some layer. Then i change the exposure buffer time to 2. Then all the bubbles gone.

5. Turn off all update on your computer or laptop
The update could cause you VGA for not enable full RGB or even mess with your ports connection.

Well i hope this looooong tips will help you getting a good or even best print result all the time. If you have a different method or opinion. Please do share with me.

Many Thanks & Best Regards
And keep on printing
Last edited by Waever on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: how I avoid fail print and lines (especially on b9emerald)

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:57 am

Thanks for your observations and trials.
A.Joa1
Novice

Postby A.Joa1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for sharing your tips.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:11 am

Thank you very much. :)
Brownadam

Postby Brownadam » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Thank you for sharing
eangor
Novice

Postby eangor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:48 am

First of all, thank you very much for the tips.

Maybe a dumb question, but what type of paper are the 100gr and 220gr? Is it the weight or something? Thank you again.
Waever
Novice

Postby Waever » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:13 pm

eangor wrote:First of all, thank you very much for the tips.

Maybe a dumb question, but what type of paper are the 100gr and 220gr? Is it the weight or something? Thank you again.

Well in my country. The thickness of a paper i measure by weight.

If you look at a pack of A4 print paper you can see the label 70gr or 80gr or 90gr.
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you for taking the time to test and the time to post. This can be very helpful for many. I rarely have failed prints but will give your suggestions a try.
eangor
Novice

Postby eangor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Waever wrote:
eangor wrote:First of all, thank you very much for the tips.

Well in my country. The thickness of a paper i measure by weight.

If you look at a pack of A4 print paper you can see the label 70gr or 80gr or 90gr.

Thank you for your response! If it is not too much trouble, could you let me know approximately how many millimeter is the 90gr + 220gr please?
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:44 am

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... 0Q9QEIKjAA

Here's all you need to know about paper thickness