Just a few observations...

This section will include any new tips and tutorials related to the Solus.
Archerm
Solus Master
Just a few observations...

Postby Archerm » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:03 pm

For those that are struggling with their prints thinking it is the machine. Today I was attempting to print a rather large ring and the first attempt failed. I was on a roll printing and everything was working perfect!! Well back to the computer I went and looked at the piece. As I was contemplating what the problem might be I remembered I didn't check it with Netfab mainly because I was doing so well for the past month. Anyway the model went through the Rhino STL just fine and normally when this happens the print works. I checked it in Netfab and to my surprise it was a total mess. Everywhere there was red the print failed. When I looked at the STL file size I noticed it was extremely small @ 4290 kb . Most of my rings this size with supports and using a very fine STL Mesh for resolution are running 22000-40000 kbs.
The ring Booleaned fine and everything looked perfect so I ran just the ring through Netfab and it was perfect with no issues. So I narrowed it down to the supports. I started looking at them and decided to start from scratch. After decreasing the steep angles on a few of the supports, removing 2 straight supports then replacing them with angled supports, and reducing size of the base support a little WALLAH everything checked out right in Netfab!!

1. After you have done this a while I think you will be able to look at your file size and know if there might be a problem.
2. Always check with Netfab even if you think you have a good STL you might be surprised.
3. It is almost always about the support system, Repeat It is almost always the support system!!

I have learned that printers will spit out the food if it doesnt taste good!! :twisted:
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Re: Just a few observations...

Postby Wdshea » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Do you ever have failures even after running it through netfabb?
Kerstien
Solus Expert

Postby Kerstien » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Regarding supports, you do them your self or via a program?
Thanks for the info
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:17 am

Yes if not supported right. I am getting better. No problems with the lighter rings, some of the heavier pieces have given me issues.
Wdshea wrote:Do you ever have failures even after running it through netfabb?
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:21 am

I am using rhino and rhino gold and RG has a supports module. I also make my on bridges and supports depending on the piece.
Kerstien wrote:Regarding supports, you do them your self or via a program?
Thanks for the info
Kerstien
Solus Expert

Postby Kerstien » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:28 am

Archerm wrote:I am using rhino and rhino gold and RG has a supports module. I also make my on bridges and supports depending on the piece.
Kerstien wrote:Regarding supports, you do them your self or via a program?
Thanks for the info

Thanks Archerm