Print sticking to film

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Kerstien
Solus Expert
Re: Print sticking to film

Postby Kerstien » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Kerstien wrote:
Kerstien wrote:
reify wrote:Hi Kerstien,

Can you email the stl to me at reify3d@gmail.com and I'll try to show you how to add the supports.

Preform is great for showing the areas that need supports but unfortunately you can't export with it. We always recommend running the supported model through the NetFabb cloud service. It has solved many a fail.
reify wrote:Hi Kerstien,

Can you email the stl to me at reify3d@gmail.com and I'll try to show you how to add the supports.

Preform is great for showing the areas that need supports but unfortunately you can't export with it. We always recommend running the supported model through the NetFabb cloud service. It has solved many a fail.

My first ring came out perfect (view attachment) then the others i tried i had problems, is the netfabb cloud free?

This ring is printing less then half, i cant get the supports right :(
Attachments
image.jpg
Kerstien
Solus Expert

Postby Kerstien » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Kerstien wrote:
Kerstien wrote:
Kerstien wrote:
My first ring came out perfect (view attachment) then the others i tried i had problems, is the netfabb cloud free?

This ring is printing less then half, i cant get the supports right :(

Tomorrow when i get back to the office i will send you the stl files.
Thanks
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:17 pm

Kerstien wrote:

Your supports look very well done on your first ring. The other ring you are trying to print does look more challenging as there might be some hard to find overhangs. The Preform software from Formlabs works great for finding these. It's free, as is the NetFabb cloud service.

Here is a related post that you may not have seen yet (again Preform would have been useful for finding those swirls):

http://reify-3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50#p183
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:19 pm

what about increasing exposure slightly? I've found that exposure doesn't affect detail very much (in a test I ran exposure from 2800-1600 without considerable difference) obviously very fine details will be affected.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:22 am

I print in 25xy, and prefer the hinge side of the build plate. I believe the peel is better on that side. I usually print only one piece at a time.

When an area of film gets damaged, you can reposition on the plate. You can also turn the tray around for some new skin.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:01 am

You will need a spider web of support to print that band. So many floating part. I was doing a ring similar but had to cut on mill because of time constraints. One way I thought of was to oversize the ring to the inside and build a thin solid surface for the design to lay on. Grind/sand this away after.
Kerstien
Solus Expert

Postby Kerstien » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:You will need a spider web of support to print that band. So many floating part. I was doing a ring similar but had to cut on mill because of time constraints. One way I thought of was to oversize the ring to the inside and build a thin solid surface for the design to lay on. Grind/sand this away after.

I think im going to buy netfabb support because i think that is the only way to do a ring like that :)
Kerstien
Solus Expert

Postby Kerstien » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:48 pm

reify wrote:
Kerstien wrote:

Your supports look very well done on your first ring. The other ring you are trying to print does look more challenging as there might be some hard to find overhangs. The Preform software from Formlabs works great for finding these. It's free, as is the NetFabb cloud service.

Here is a related post that you may not have seen yet (again Preform would have been useful for finding those swirls):

Found out why a normal band was sticking to the film, it was runing on the inside of the printer :) , i put it back on and its printing fine :) , should you send me a new spring or i use the one i have ?
Attachments
image.jpg
Kerstien
Solus Expert

Postby Kerstien » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Kerstien wrote:
reify wrote:
Kerstien wrote:

Found out why a normal band was sticking to the film, it was runing on the inside of the printer :) , i put it back on and its printing fine :) , should you send me a new spring or i use the one i have ?

Printed perfect :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Kerstien
Solus Expert

Postby Kerstien » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Kerstien wrote:
Kerstien wrote:
reify wrote:

Printed perfect :)