Various Grow Line Issues

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
TortiousConduct
Various Grow Line Issues

Postby TortiousConduct » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Good morning printers, jewelers, and printer-jewelers!

Over the past 4 months, I've been able to get quite dialed in using our Solus here in the shop. I am admittedly very new to jewelry-making as well as to resin printing, so there's been quite a learning curve. That said, I've scoured this forum and haven't been able to solve a few mysteries. The first is the presence of some lines in both the Z axis and in some other axes.

In these two photos, hopefully you can see the lines that appear vertical on the ring. Toward the top, they appear to curve over the edge. (I'll kindly ask that you ignore the various casting issues for now, as that is another, extant issue we're working the kinks out on and I'd love to just focus on one problem at a time :-P). This ring was printed on SolusCast, 42xy, oriented in a "flat" direction with the flat face of the ring's cylinder parallel to the print bed supported by a true bevy of stipple-supports.

20190731_122455.jpg
20190731_122444.jpg

In these photos are a print of the exact same model in the exact same orientation with the exact same settings. This is post-curing (several hours in a distilled water bath in a box of 2x20W 405nm UV lamps.The lines are present here, as well, so it seems not to be an issue with the casting. You can also see some horizontal lines, which are also an issue I'd like to solve if the two types are unrelated.

20190805_170856.jpg
20190805_170937.jpg

The next photo is the same model printed at a smaller size (to save on resin) and oriented at a 45 degree angle from the print bed. One is printed at 42xy, the other 25xy. Both were printed on a brand new film. As you can see, the lines persist at a different angle - though there appears to be some vaguely sinusoidal pattern to it.

20190812_092619.jpg

I've done a handful more tests and a lot more tinkering, but I'm eager to see if anyone has any ideas about the fix or other things I could test to start figuring this out.

Some other data: projector hours are <300, I've tried this with different film tensions, I've fairly recently recalibrated the build plate.

Thanks a ton for any help or ideas!
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: Various Grow Line Issues

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:41 am

One thing I see is your supports in the last picture are too thin. When I print rings like that my main support is 2mm in diameter and the tip is .08. You can't use the smaller tip size with SolusCast. Also need more supports around the top area of ring. Your getting slippage of the layers.
TortiousConduct

Postby TortiousConduct » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi! I appreciate your feedback, but I am reasonably confident that these vertical lines and banding are not caused by insufficient supporting. Still, I did a test print with the supports as thick and as frequent as Solus will give us, and still the bands are present in exactly the same shape and pattern.

I'm curious if you have other thoughts on what the cause may be.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Maybe they are on your CAD file and that just transfers into the print.

I've seen this kind of thing with ARTCAM files.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 am

As Emil suggested. Did you run your file through a stl repair tool? netfab or in Matrix. reduce the amount of faces in the mesh.
TortiousConduct

Postby TortiousConduct » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Afternoon, all. I just wanted to report back in on what finally fixed the problems for us.

We're using a machine with onboard Intel graphics, and somewhere along the line the drivers had updated. Somehow the default resolution changed on the projector/extended screen from 1900x1080 to 1900x1200. Once I switched it back, the significant banding patterns substantially disappeared of subsided. This includes the vertical Z-axis banding and the weird sinusoidal wavy patterns that persisted across the X-axis and the Y-axis.

Now we're "just" working through casting issues. lol

But thanks everyone for chiming in.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:28 am

Glad you got it solved. I had bad prints last week. Settings looked ok but I saw where my laptop had an update. Had to find an update to the update to fix the problem.