Spacer for film replacement

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
KennyB
Novice
Spacer for film replacement

Postby KennyB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:29 pm

I've been having issues printing lately, incomplete grows mostly. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is yet, maybe supports, maybe something else.

What I do know is that it's time to replace the film again.

Watching the video, I noticed the 1mm spacer. I don't have one. Did I misplace it or is it something that you guys are just cutting out? If so, what material are you using?

Thanks for any insight!

Ken
KennyB
Novice

Re: Spacer for film replacement

Postby KennyB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Just realized this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

Can't figure out how to edit it so if a mod could move it, that'd be great :-)
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi Kenny,

You only need to replace the film if the film is damaged. Do you have any photos of your failed prints?

You don't necessarily need the spacer to replace the film. In-fact I've just tested the same method from the video but without the spacer and it works great. The key is not to tighten the two knobs all the way when you're installing the film (just enough so that the metal of the tank in the center is touching the metal of the printer). Then after resin tank is put together, you can tighten the knobs all the way down.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:36 am

Thanks, monger.

I did not take photos unfortunately. The prints start out fine, but then halfway through or so, randomly stop.

This results in "chunks" taken out from the model. I thought it was maybe the model itself even though I ran it through netfabb, but it did it with another model that printed fine before.

I tried filling the build area with multiple copies and all failed at random places.

I'm pretty sure the film is ruined because when the prints fail, it starts printing on the film itself and then I have to try to remove the cured resin.

This has resulted in many bumps and dents in the film itself. I try to be careful with the plastic tweezers while gently pushing from behind the film with a microfiber cloth, but it still damages it.

My thought is to calibrate the build plate, replace the film and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll take pictures and go from there :-)