resin not adhering to the plate

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
wildtrout
Novice
resin not adhering to the plate

Postby wildtrout » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:45 am

Hi Guys
Just got the solus yesterday.
Had the printer set up for me but in the time we had, we were unable to get a successful print, of one of the stl files supplied (links).
I retried a couple of times and managed a better but still incomplete model. I then tried the multi pave ring and it came out perfect.
Armed with this success I loaded a simple ring that I'd drawn but without changing anything in the settings both times failed. So 1 out of 6 so far.
My question is that in 3 out of the 5 fails, there was little or nothing on the plate to remove, it was like it wasn't adhering to the plate.
Any idea what I can do to negate this.
Many thanks in advance
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: resin not adhering to the plate

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:01 am

First after each fail did you strain out the resin from vat and remove any resin stuck to the film?

Are you sure the models were on the bottom of the grid before slicing? Did the first frame in Slice View show the base or support bases in CW?

Did you run your file through Netfab to repair a bad STL?

Tension of the vat against quartz table? To tight and the tilt won't work correctly. To loose and no contact for resin to attached.

Go back through setup to make sure settings are set correct. In setting up 25 or 42xy, if you make changes in the boxes be sure to hit Apply Change button. Otherwise they won't be set.

Just a few things to start with. Email Monger, he will get back to you and help you out.
wildtrout
Novice

Postby wildtrout » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:04 am

that's great info thank you. I will go through your suggestions and try again. thank you
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:10 am

Another thing is supports. They must be in the right place. Also get preform from Form1. There is a Free one that will let you look at your file only. It will let you preview you model slice by slice. Look for islands, areas that have no support.

There is also some good info on printing on Form's site.
wildtrout
Novice

Postby wildtrout » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks for your advice. Next model I tried, just a simple pave band worked well. Its curing now but all the claws are there so I can go to sleep content.
For the record, I made sure the vat wasn't too tight, (I suspect it may have been) and I also added a large flat surface to the base of the model so it had a large surface to start off with.
Many thanks
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:51 pm

I have found that film tightness and good supports are key to getting great prints. Getting the right film tension is key to making sure the tilt works properly. To tight and the quartz tilt table wont come all the way up. Film to loose and the peel doesn't work well and the print slices may not line up properly and peel apart.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:49 pm

As mentioned, check your bases are at Z0.
wildtrout
Novice

Postby wildtrout » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:06 am

Not the most complicated design but came out well.
Attachments
20160212_085042.jpg
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 am

Normally my base is .5mmin thickness and just large enough tof shadow the model from the top. I also prefer rounded bases instead of sharp cornered bases. That print looks pretty good.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am

You really don't need that big of a base.
[img]
Print211.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
Print211.jpg