Microwave and Emerald resin

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Tiger
Novice
Microwave and Emerald resin

Postby Tiger » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:48 am

I did a test with microwave, printed piece dropped in baby oil, 3 min microwave and 10min rest, 3 times.
Doesn't come out good, piece on the left is usual procedure with propanol in ultrasonic, dry at 38°C for 30min, and UV cure; on the right is propanol in ultrasonic, dry at 38°C for 30min and microwave.
Structure of the piece has changed.
People using this solution are saying the surface is very smooth... Does it work only with the Cherry resin?
Attachments
D8E_5948.jpg
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: Microwave and Emerald resin

Postby Archerm » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:44 pm

I have never used a microwave. I just clean a put under uv. I thought about oven curing but need to get a small table top curing oven.
Tiger
Novice

Postby Tiger » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:33 pm

First time I try, but it looks like I cook it ;)
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Well done instead of medium rare!! Send it back to the kitchen....
Tiger wrote:First time I try, but it looks like I cook it ;)
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 am

A lot depends on how powerful a microwave you have. I just did some green. 3 min then rest at least 10min. I check to see how hot the oil is. If I can't touch it I wait. Two times only. My Microwave is only 700 watt. Then clean in Dawn and water to get oil off. One dip in my Mineral Sprue wax to dry off. These were thin micro pave diamond band and a pendant. I cut off the supports after Microwave using a bur. Resin was hard all the way through. Will be casting in morning.
Tiger
Novice

Postby Tiger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:38 am

Mine is 700W as well, I will have a try only 2 min two times.
Otherwise I stay with my usual procedure.
Thanks for your comment.
MarkPhilip

Postby MarkPhilip » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:18 am

For cherry resin i microwave (700 watt) in water for 5 min > 10 min rest > 5 min > then 30 min under uv light. It turns out fully cured at the end. Maybe the oil might be the issue? Try doing it in water.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:32 pm

I microwave ma pieces in water. I Have tried 5min, and now I do 10 min,I don't see any defect what so ever under the microscope. I always end with 2 H UV.
I assume that oil what ever pure heated might affect some elements of the resin .Cos the resin properly is not only resin it contains pigments as well as other stuff.

the end result is always a nice bone dry,crisp ready for casting Piece.

1200 watt Microwave.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:55 am

i have had no problem using oil. A lot of other guy use oil so I've just stuck with it. I used water at store the other day for 3 min on 5 rest. Did not look at it when turned on for the second go. The water evaporated. Did not damage print. Microwave at store is higher wattage than what I use at shop at home. The oil will stay hotter longer after the 3 min. so I let cool to touch. then 3 min again. I do NOT UV cure at all. Getting great cast using this process. Satincast with my normal burn out.