Problem with aspect ratio

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru
Re: Problem with aspect ratio

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:42 pm

I have no more secrets left. Left it all out there for everyone to benefit from ;)
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
jisaac
Novice

Postby jisaac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:01 pm

I am very interested by high precision.
However, I don't really understand your adjustment process.
Maybe because I am not fluent in english ;)

Wdshea wrote:Adjust zoom until it is 25mm wide.

This is the only thing I pretty sure to understand. (Adjust with the zoom ring)

Wdshea wrote:Then adjust build area Y in machine config.

Do you mean with distortion parameters or scaling adjustment or graphics card ratio setting?

Wdshea wrote:The angle of the projector is to counter the lack of depth of field using a 10x. If you dont do what i've suggested, you'll notice that you cant get the top and bottom of the build area in focus at the same time.

How do you adjust the angle of the projector into the solus? I guess with lens shift wheel or machines feets?
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 am

You adjust the Y in the Solus Contour software. Look at the Video's

Your projector should be as flat as possible. All adjustment wheels-feet screwed in.
jisaac
Novice

Postby jisaac » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:You adjust the Y in the Solus Contour software. Look at the Video's

You mean the Y center parameter in the grid adjusment video?

I just want to understand the precision adjustment of Wdshea in this thread and I don't get it.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 am

He is adjusting the height of projector to get the gird in the middle of the table I believe. Which I'm guessing is easier to focus the top and bottom of the grid. He is also using a 25mm square projected to the printer to focus the size and also use the adjustment in contour to further fine tune the square. I feel each projector is a little different in the way it projects an image. Because we are using them with short distance and they are designed to show at much further distance which is not a big deal on how well centered the lens is in the machine. My guess at least. So everyone has to tinker with their setup to get the best production.
jisaac
Novice

Postby jisaac » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:59 am

Jewelermdt wrote:He is adjusting the height of projector to get the gird in the middle of the table I believe. Which I'm guessing is easier to focus the top and bottom of the grid. He is also using a 25mm square projected to the printer to focus the size and also use the adjustment in contour to further fine tune the square. I feel each projector is a little different in the way it projects an image. Because we are using them with short distance and they are designed to show at much further distance which is not a big deal on how well centered the lens is in the machine. My guess at least. So everyone has to tinker with their setup to get the best production.

To get the grid in the middle of the table, you mean of the quartz?
If so, this is really not the case, especially with the lens shift turn to the maximum in order to make the image at lowest position, as recommanded in the documentation for my projector vivitek 1186HD.
I don't have time to investigate about high precision on the solus at the moment, so you will probably see another of my post later about it ;)
My first print was a 10mm cube, and I got x 9.92, y 9.80.
TODO :
1/ I will project a square to check if measurement of xy is the same. If it's OK I will try to fix it with the Scale Adjustment button on the setup page.
2/ If NOK, I don't really know. I saw in the forum a king of ratio correction exists in the graphics card setting. I will see...
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:41 am

Yes to get the gird more toward the center of the quartz. I could not get my grid real sharp until I moved the front foot of the projector up just a little. Don't know why, but like I said, how these are assembled could be suspect. When I attached my magnify lens it made the lens of the projector drop. I have made a clip to hold the lens in place.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 pm

I know it has been a year since this thread was relevant, but in case anyone is wondering...

If you are familiar with lenses in general, you know that the more "zoom" a lens has, and the larger the aperture, the depth of field decreases.

this is why when photographers take a portrait of someone, they use either a zoom lens and/or a high aperture lens. this gives the effect of the subject being in focus, and the back ground and fore ground out of focus.

when using a macro lens, which is what is installed on the front of the projector, the depth of field is decreased, meaning that in order to get the entire image projected on the quartz in focus, the rear of the projector must be higher than the front. if the projector front and rear legs are adjusted equally (projector level) you can not get the entire build area into focus.

this probably has to do with a discrepancy with the projector construction and how light is sent through the objective lens. having disassembled my projector completely, i believe this to be true.

having spent a ridiculous amount of time figuring this out, i thought someone else might benefit. if your eyes are good enough, you will be able to notice that without my suggestion, the top and bottom of projected images on the build plate will not be in perfect focus.

EDIT: i have the infocus 8606hd, different projectors may offer different levels of focus.
Sagariz
Novice

Postby Sagariz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:43 am

Wdshea wrote:If you want the kind of precision you're seeking you will need to either adjust the angle of the projector into the solus

OR

adjust the build area XY in machine config.

(I did both)

I use a 25mm square and project it. Adjust zoom until it is 25mm wide.Then adjust build area Y in machine config. You will not be able to achieve what you want with default settings, at least i couldn't.

IMO, that is the only way to get it right. Which makes sense because you're calibrating to what is actually projected, not the size of the build area.

The angle of the projector is to counter the lack of depth of field using a 10x. If you dont do what i've suggested, you'll notice that you cant get the top and bottom of the build area in focus at the same time.

How do you make the projection of the cube?