Problem with aspect ratio

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
wawatobi
Novice
Problem with aspect ratio

Postby wawatobi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:41 pm

I loaded a 10mm cube in CE. It measured 10 in Y an 11.5 in Y. My projector aspect ratio is set to fill. When I tried to set aspect ratio in the computer I can't do it, when I press display in the Intel control panel, I get the windows message that the program is no longer working..... Also the prints are cut off 3/4 of the way up. The.cut off area is not flat.
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: Problem with aspect ratio

Postby Archerm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Did you go through all the setup procedures for the computer and projector. sounds like a setup issue. Might want to post some pics.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Seems like your laptop's screen and the projector's aspect ratio are different.

Do you have intel graphics? In the graphics options, you can change the SCALING for the Infocus, so that it says 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' and see if that helps.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
3dLuke
Novice

Postby 3dLuke » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello, I have been getting good prints but I've noticed that the prints are not too exact. I think I am having the same issue as discussed above. Attached is a photo of a circle halo crown. As you can see by the measurements that it is not a perfect circle.

I own a Acer computer with intel graphics. Under the Settings I do find "maintain aspect ratio". However after I apply the setting it defaults back to "Maintain Display ratio".

Any thoughts or tips would be helpful.

Best Regards,
Luke
Attachments
TROUBLESHOOTING.jpg
Best Regards,

Luke Johnson
Senior Designer
Arthur's Jewelers Creations.
Other Custom Designs by Luke Johnson
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:39 pm

If you want the kind of precision you're seeking you will need to either adjust the angle of the projector into the solus

OR

adjust the build area XY in machine config.

(I did both)

I use a 25mm square and project it. Adjust zoom until it is 25mm wide.Then adjust build area Y in machine config. You will not be able to achieve what you want with default settings, at least i couldn't.

IMO, that is the only way to get it right. Which makes sense because you're calibrating to what is actually projected, not the size of the build area.

The angle of the projector is to counter the lack of depth of field using a 10x. If you dont do what i've suggested, you'll notice that you cant get the top and bottom of the build area in focus at the same time.
hx19035
Novice

Postby hx19035 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:59 pm

Wish I could "thumbs up" or "Like Thread" because this is some killer info.

Thanks!
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:40 pm

How often do you have to do this type of fine tuning.
I assume this a key factor.
Thank you for the info though.

Wdshea wrote:If you want the kind of precision you're seeking you will need to either adjust the angle of the projector into the solus

OR

adjust the build area XY in machine config.

(I did both)

I use a 25mm square and project it. Adjust zoom until it is 25mm wide.Then adjust build area Y in machine config. You will not be able to achieve what you want with default settings, at least i couldn't.

IMO, that is the only way to get it right. Which makes sense because you're calibrating to what is actually projected, not the size of the build area.

The angle of the projector is to counter the lack of depth of field using a 10x. If you dont do what i've suggested, you'll notice that you cant get the top and bottom of the build area in focus at the same time.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:34 am

once set, you're done.

my back legs are showing about 3/8" of thread, front leg showing 3/16". front had to come up to center picture.

keep bringing the rear up until you notice both top and bottom of image are in focus.

use a part with high detail, choose a slice with fine detail top/bottom. focus and adjust. i use jewelers specs to see what i'm doing.
3dLuke
Novice

Postby 3dLuke » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Thank you for the info. I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thank you very much.
Best Regards,

Luke Johnson
Senior Designer
Arthur's Jewelers Creations.
Other Custom Designs by Luke Johnson
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:04 pm

Up to now. it was the best kept secret. Now I see way Monger's prints are always ahead of the crowed.