support thickness

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
EddyF
Novice
support thickness

Postby EddyF » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:32 pm

If you are using posts for support what is diameter at base ? what is diameter at attached?

Thanks
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: support thickness

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:52 am

I use 1.5 to 2mm base depending on how high they need to go. About 6mm to part I taper to .2 using the pipe command in Matrix.
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: support thickness

Postby Archerm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 pm

I am using 1mm to 1.5 mm on most pieces. You can make them with pipe, one rail sweep or lofting. For straight supports I use loft most of the time but for curved supports I like the pipe command. Don't forget to make a file for your supports to save them. That way you can just import them in. I also make lots of micro supports. .20-.50 mm in diameter for open areas in the model that need support. That way you don't have to run a support all the way to the base. I will also support a area that needs support to the model itself if I can.

Another thing for symmetrical pieces don't forget the mirror command that will cut your work in half.