Any idea why these keep failing?

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master
Re: Any idea why these keep failing?

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:16 am

If it's resin you drained from failed prints, you can strain it and reuse it. Get a fine steel mesh strainer or a paint strainer. Just store it in a separate container.
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 pm

wondering if anyone can help as my fail to success ratio is awful, I can print the same piece perfect one day then fail the next, all my models are run through netfab, I’m using CW at the moment as Contour isn’t working but have been speaking to Reify about this, I have just put a fresh film on and fresh resin, 1st print fail - stepping, tried different lower model 1st print great, 2nd fail, hoping this 3rd print is ok now, mainly I still have the steps in my prints and I don’t know why, it’s as if a whole layer is projected off centre to all the others,

20160714_090914.jpg
1st model fail

20160714_091127.jpg
1st model fail

20160714_124357.jpg
1st print of new model (I need 3 of these)
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Are you restarting CW each time? I suspect it could be a memory leak issue that's causing a stutter.

Here are the instructions on how to pre-slice and this should help fix the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94wndbu7a9ujkqj/Saving%20Slice%20Files.pdf?dl=0
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:28 pm

No, I just turn the projector off between prints to let it cool off,

I had tried to pre-slice but I always have to re-slice it when I open them, even with the sample ring, I'll give it another go,

it seems my 1st print of the day fails and the others are fine, as both the last 2 heads I’ve done today have been fine since the fail this morning, the ring and 1st head where grown yesterday, but thats just the last 2 days
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Looking at the ring pic again it's too big of a coincidence that the shift happens right when the top part starts. If pre-slicing doesn't work, I suggest adding a couple more supports on each side.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:18 pm

Some will think i am crazy but I would print that upside down add 8 short supports under the prongs(4) and the top rails(4) leave the bridge supports. One support a little ways up the shank on each side.

Print the halo with no supports if it is flat on the bottom.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:42 am

As Mark said. It doesn't look like you have the support out to the corner of the prongs. Maybe make the top of the support a little larger. You may also need one in the middle of the rail if the rail is slightly inside the prong at the bottom.
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:52 am

I have loads of supports on it, I think its the camera angle I used, I run them through Preform to see where needs supports by the red areas then scroll through and see if there are any islands,

@Archem I have managed to print all 3 of the halos I need now, but they are curved to fit the fingr rail hence the supports,

Screenshot 2016-07-12 12.20.51.png
Preform was happy with these support areas

Screenshot 2016-07-15 08.46.41.png
I added an extra 4 to the inside of the head as it was a large flat

20160317_112909.jpg
the shift seems to happen anywhere on the ring, usually around 3/4 up the finger rail
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:10 pm

That last photo doesn't look like a shift since it didn't do it on the inside of the ring as well and the outside left and right went 'larger' and stayed that way up the ring.

It almost looks like something went wrong with the model part way up the shank. Did you run it through Netfabb to verify the mesh and repair any issues with it? Also, if you look at the layer images, you might see where it goes weird.
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:27 am

The shift is the same, sometimes is just steps into the ring rail and sometimes to the side as well, the model should be fine as I’ve printed it a few times, at least 2 fine and 1 fail, I always netfab and then look at each slice layer before I print, I’m going to check my settings on my pc and projector in case any have reverted back,