Any idea why these keep failing?

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Ellie
Novice
Any idea why these keep failing?

Postby Ellie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:15 pm

20160329_142318.jpg
so many fails

I've been trying to print these 5 rings and they keep failing, the bottom set where printed on Thursday last week and they all failed on the same slices, after a mishap with tiny cured resin blobs from that print I have used my new resin tank today re-meshed, netfabbed and re-sliced the rings and it has failed twice today, they haven’t failed on the same slices and are just getting worse with each print,

I’ve strained the resin and given it a good stir in the measuring cup and gently with the silicone spatula when its back in the tank, have turned off the internet and anything else I can to stop any notifications whilst printing, although it always finds a way to give at least 1 for something during a print, last one was for the action centre, not sure if that would of caused the fail? And then sat and looked at all 999 slices just to make sure,

I know the centre ring will print with its supports as I did it last week but had to add claws into the channel setting, it’s 1st print failed as it had steps inside the shank, re-meshed, netfabbed and re-sliced then thought it was failing as it was lifting clear of the resin tank on the lift but looking at it after it looked better than the 1st print so re-printed and it came out great,
Attachments
20160329_150359.jpg
original prints of middle ring
L to R: 1st print, cancelled, final print
reify
Site Admin

Re: Any idea why these keep failing?

Postby reify » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi,

I just emailed you a sample ring stl. Please try to see if it prints ok.
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:49 pm

I had this same problem only with cherry resin for a while. The good news is I fixed it 100%. The bad news is I changed 3 things at the same time, so I have no idea which was the fix, lol. Still, this may be of some help:

1, I switched from my CAD computer with an Nvidia card to an cheap integrated Intel graphics computer.
2, I started pre-slicing the models.
3, I increased my Z-lift from 3 to 5.

Hope this helps.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:42 am

Same for me. Printed some things last week ok. Today fails. Ran a print with out resin in tank to see if the tilt was working correct. Notice that film was not totally releasing from table. Seems the film was slipping from between vat plates. Tighten it up and did one print great. Tried another and fail. Will take apart tomorrow and get the rubber gasket really clean from resin and try again.
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 am

Mark - got your email but there was no attachment? but was planning to try the original sample ring this morning anyway, will see how that goes,

KennyB - we have a dedicated laptop already but will try your other solutions one at a time of pre-slicing and changing the Z lift, guessing this will definitely pull it clear of the resin in the tank each time?

Jewelermdt - this is our brand new spare tank that we had with the preinstalled film, but I will give this a go, my tank is emtpy from the fail yeterday, do I just need to press play on the print with it installed? does the projector need to be off just in case there are bits of resin left as I don’t want to accidently cure little bits again? and guessing leave the base plate out so I can see better?
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 am

Hi,

I have resent it. But it is the usual sample so maybe you already have it.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 am

Jewelermdt wrote:Same for me. Printed some things last week ok. Today fails. Ran a print with out resin in tank to see if the tilt was working correct. Notice that film was not totally releasing from table. Seems the film was slipping from between vat plates. Tighten it up and did one print great. Tried another and fail. Will take apart tomorrow and get the rubber gasket really clean from resin and try again.

I don't see how it can slip between the top and the bottom, the gasket should grip it firmly. Are you sure the quartz and the bottom of the film are 100% residue free? Is the film from us?
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks for that Mark, I did have it from before,

I have run a print without the resin to see the tilt mechanism, it seems to work fine, but decided I used my silicone spatula to wipe across the top as if I’d been string the resin and the film stuck to the quartz with a few small air bubbles, it then wasn’t releasing properly on the tilt so I cleaned the quartz and bottom of the film with a little IPA on a microfiber cloth but it didn’t make much of a difference even after leaving it for about an hour,

1.jpg
before tilt

2.jpg
after tilt
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:18 am

You need to scrub off all that residue on the quartz.
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:58 pm

I’ve scrubbed it twice now and left it to dry out but it still does the same when I run the spatula over it, is it not just suction of the film to the quartz? it doesn’t happen when I just put the vat on just when I run the spatula over it, is it worth me printing the test ring to see if that works as I'm at a loss of how else I can clean it?