Flashing on one end of builds

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
imccad
Novice
Flashing on one end of builds

Postby imccad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:00 pm

We've been working on setting up our printer for over a month now, and still don't have perfect, consistent prints. After going back and forth with tech support, we finally got all of the settings ironed out. We're using the original Emerald resin profile.

We're offline, we uninstalled AVG, we turned off updates, we run every file though Netfabb, we mix and strain the resin for every print, we re-calibrated the build plate, we replaced the vat film, we experimented with tightening the vat screws less to make sure the vat isn't too tight.

What else could be causing this issue? This flashing type of error happened yesterday when we ran a full build of the supplied sample file, as well as a full build of a simple band we made. It happens more to one side of the printer, the side with the level, and seem to happen near the end of a print. Also, I did notice that the bases are thinner than they should be. I build them at .50mm, and they come out about .28mm thick. Could this be related to how my build isn't perfectly centered on the build plate?

Could this be related to our laptop, or that our printer is close to other machines?

Thoughts?
Attachments
20160406_171048.jpg
test file.jpg
20160406_171418.jpg
20160406_170313.jpg
Last edited by imccad on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: Flashing on one end of builds

Postby Archerm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:24 pm

I am going to guess the flashing is coming off the first layer of the base. Probably from flashing around the base that has broke off from the build plate. Might want to scuff up the buildplate a little more.
Looks like it is a piece that was floating in the resin. Are you filtering your resin after every print?
imccad
Novice

Postby imccad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:47 pm

We will try scuffing up the base plate more, thanks. Yes, we strain the resin after every build.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm on my phone so it's hard to see the pics but is that wet or cured resin at the top left corner of the build platform?

As Mark suggested, it seems something is breaking loose and floating in the resin and reattaching later.
imccad
Novice

Postby imccad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:04 pm

That's just wet resin, not cured.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:52 pm

You should try recalibrating the build platform. I'm guessing one side is just too tight. It compresses the film and squeezes out the resin on the first few layers. When the light hits the aluminum plate it scatters and can create the flashing that can then separate and stick to the print it even cause failures.

The video on how to calibrate the build area is in the videos section viewtopic.php?f=12&t=104
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
imccad
Novice

Postby imccad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:15 pm

OK, I re-sanded the build plate and re-calibrated the build platform, and tried to run 3 of the test rings. I stopped the build partway through because it seems the "floating layer" problem got worse. I'm attaching an image of this most recent build, and my resin profile.
Attachments
20160407_101917.jpg
20160407_144939.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi Charles,

Most likely something changed on your computer that is causing the flashing. Perhaps the full rgb settings.

Send me an email and I can connect to your pc on Monday and check it out. (info@junction3d.com)
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Mon May 09, 2016 12:06 am

Hi everyone, I am having the exact same problem too, but mine is even worse with big visible growing lines too. Very frustrated. Just got my printer about a week ago, and still trying to get everything running smoothly. I have set the graphic card to full RGB using the Toggling tools and check it by unplugging the HDMI from the back of the projector to make sure it works. Have you figured it out what went wrong with yours? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_8208.JPG
IMG_8209.JPG
IMG_8212.JPG
IMG_8214.JPG
IMG_8218.JPG
Last edited by samatheang on Mon May 09, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Mon May 09, 2016 5:53 am

samatheang wrote:Hi everyone, I am having the exact same problem too, but mine is even worse with big visible growing lines too. Very frustrated. Just got my printer about a week ago, and still trying to get everything running smoothly. I have set the graphic card to full RGB using the Toggling tools and check it by unplugging the HDMI from the back of the projector to make sure it works. Have you figured it out what went wrong with yours? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Please email Emil tomorrow and he'll help you get set up.