The glue on the outside edge of the Vat issue

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
samatheang
Solus Expert
The glue on the outside edge of the Vat issue

Postby samatheang » Sat May 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Just got my Solus about a week ago. Really like it so far. However, this morning before running a print, I noticed that the glue seems to be melted on one side of the outside edges of the Vat.

First of all, I saw the edge seems wet with a little of emerald resin there. Then I wiped it off using paper towel. Right after that I noticed the glue looked melted. Not sure if it is leaking. No matter how many time I wipe it off, it still seems wet. I am so worry now. I have never cleaned the Vat with anything yet since I only did about three or four prints on it. Did anyone have this problem? What should I do? I have attached some pictures of it, but really hard to tell by the picture. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_8203.JPG
IMG_8201.JPG
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: The glue on the outside edge of the Vat issue

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun May 08, 2016 3:16 am

Might be a challenge to fix. It's not glue. They use a Acrylic product that Welds the pieces together. Most likely Emil will replace it for you. You might find what you need at a hardware store or a hobby shop. Would need to get all the resin off the pieces though. That's the challenge part.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Sun May 08, 2016 4:01 am

That's actually not the material that bonds the acrylic. It's just a UV sealant we add after to offer an extra level of protection in case there are any micro channels between the base piece of acrylic and the side walls. I can see from the picture you have a good bond between the acrylic so it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

If it still worries you, just blast that area with some UV. Obviously, be careful not to cure any resin in the vat.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Sun May 08, 2016 7:08 am

@Jewelermdt @Mark
Thank you for the response, guys. Anyway, why the UV sealant become so soft like jello? Aren't they supposed to be hard since they are UV cured? Also, after I dried it for a while, it became a little wet again with resin. I will try the UV cured like Mark said, but I really don't feel secure.
GSJ_NZ
Novice

Postby GSJ_NZ » Sun May 08, 2016 9:58 am

I had the same thing happen to one of my vats not long after i got my printer.
As per Mark's suggestion i left a bead of resin around the outside edge of the vat walls and left it in the sun for a while. I moved it around to expose all sides evenly.
It worked, and the vat is still absolutely fine after months of printing.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Mon May 09, 2016 7:12 am

Thank you for the advise, GSJ_NZ. Sound good. I will try it.