Build arm stuck at the base of the z-axis screw

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
GSJ_NZ
Novice
Build arm stuck at the base of the z-axis screw

Postby GSJ_NZ » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi all,
During the homing cycle the build arm is going to the base of the z axis screw and staying there. Not only that, but it sounds like the z-axis motor is still trying to move it.
I’ve turned the power off, and manually moved the arm up the z axis, and re-started everything, but it keeps doing it. Nothing is in the way of the Z-axis limiter pin, and it hasn’t been knocked or touched.

I’m using Solus Contour. It’s been working great over the last few days, and this has happened once before in CW. That time using the reset command $X seemed to sort it out. I’ve re-opened CW and tried that command again, and it clears it, but then $h sends it straight back to the base of the z-axis.
Anyone got any advice?

Also, a suggestion for any future SC updates: maybe there could be a button on the main screen to run the homing cycle 10-15x to warm up / lubricate the Z-axis before the first print of the day?

Thanks!
KennyB
Novice

Re: Build arm stuck at the base of the z-axis screw

Postby KennyB » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:41 pm

I had similar issues once and Mark thought it may have been due to a corrupted firmware.

Emil connected to me remotely and reloaded it and it's all good now.

Great idea on the "warm up" feature!
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:00 am

Hi,

Send me an email when you're free and I'll hook up to your computer and reload the firmware to see if that fixes it.
GSJ_NZ
Novice

Postby GSJ_NZ » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:36 am

Well, it looks like I’ve got a damaged Z-axis sensor, but the new parts are on their way so all is good!
Thanks for your comment Ken, the firmware was the first thing Mark looked at.
I’ve got to say that once again I’m very impressed with Mark’s service. Even with a Cat 5 Typhoon heading his way on Thursday night, he was happy to reload new firmware and run through diagnostics with me while preparing for the storm!
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:08 am

Glad you got it figured out. Keep us updated after you replace the part if you can.

I agree about the immpressive service. I started out a year ago as a complete newcomer to both CAD and CAM and the service I've received has been literally extraordinary.

Emil shipped me a new quartz, out of warranty, at no charge even though I clearly broke it by not following the instructions in the manual, IN BRIGHT RED LETTERS :D
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:35 am

KennyB wrote: Emil shipped me a new quartz, out of warranty, at no charge even though I clearly broke it by not following the instructions in the manual, IN BRIGHT RED LETTERS :D

Now with Contour it should be almost impossible to make this mistake. Creation Workshop was a different story...
johnchang85

Postby johnchang85 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:09 am

my z axis is also now stuck at the bottom. I tried homing it but it will not return up, and the z axis sounds likes its trying to work. Im am using contour. Please help
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:35 am

Did you remove the vat and build plate?

I can hook up to your computer now if you're free.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:09 am

I totally agree the support is flawless. Very important to many people who are new to 3D Printig. Customer support is key. lot of companies charge arm and leg for their yearly fee support.

The rest are non existent. they leave you on your own. I have seen it countless times, If you are good they might Email you back a week or two later.

One more time Thanks to the Solus community. M. William