Large Ring Failing -- Would you all be willing to give some support advice?

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
flameswithin
Novice
Large Ring Failing -- Would you all be willing to give some support advice?

Postby flameswithin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Hey everyone, I've been running a Solus at my dayjob for about a month now and I love it. I've been trying to grow this ring for myself and I'm having a rough time. It's admittedly a big, heavy ring, particularly at the top. I'm including some photos of what I've tried.

The first attempt was in Cherry resin, using only basic matrix supports (didn't know any better at the time, also sorry I don't have a photo of them). It actually grew ok, but there are a few layers that didn't connect on one side, and a tear halfway up the shank on the other.

Later on I tried some pretty minimal vertical supports, basically three fat pipes, one in the center and two on the sides. This one grew successfully but you can see where there's a ridge when the top area starts growing. Also the base of the shank made a bubble on the film that is imprinted into the top of the ring. The whole top is slightly convex, rather than flat.

I've tried growing it on its side, but the finished print is lopsided, has a tear and a sag. I'd really prefer growing the ring vertically if possible.

I've gone back to trying it vertically, with a forest of supports, with radii about .6 and .7mm. My last few attempts have failed at varying points, or torn in half at the very top of the heavy part.

To combat this, I added a few thick pipes running horizontally to physically *hold* the two halves of the ring together during the grow. But I haven't gotten the ring to even finish successfully yet. I'm getting fails like this but not always in this spot (last time it died out much further along):

So, dear community, what do you think? What would my most successful support strategy be for this ring? Can this ring even be grown on the Solus or should I be looking other methods for this project?

Thanks, yall!
-Phil
reify
Site Admin

Re: Large Ring Failing -- Would you all be willing to give some support advice?

Postby reify » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:08 am

That ring shouldn't be too difficult but I think it's best to angle it. You shouldn't need anywhere near that many supports, just make sure it has a strong base support and some thick central supports to hold the thick, top part. And of course, you'll need to support any overhangs.
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:34 pm

The second example was the best print so far and I would make some modifications from there.

The shift at the top is probably do to the first few layers of solid ring printing after the shank with the small cross section. There is not much to support that larger solid section, so there will be some movement. I think some additional thick supports placed to hold that layer well will help. Put them between the two larger ones on the end and the center one to better support the area underneath.

The convex top could be resin shrinkage during the cure of the larger flat area. How many supports did you have holding up the center cross shape? You might need some of those thicker supports as well to keep the cross stabilized. This will probably work with the shift problem as well.
flameswithin
Novice

Postby flameswithin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:33 pm

reify wrote:That ring shouldn't be too difficult but I think it's best to angle it. You shouldn't need anywhere near that many supports, just make sure it has a strong base support and some thick central supports to hold the thick, top part. And of course, you'll need to support any overhangs.

Thanks for the input. I've just made a thick "tree" style support inside (though I didn't angle it yet). Do you think this would be sufficient? Do you see any obvious things I should modify? Also, do you think increasing exposure time would help a heavy grow like this? I'm using 2900ms with Emerald resin.

I appreciate all the help!

mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:57 pm

I think that's too many supports. You're better off tilting that ring and supporting it that way. Sort of how you did it earlier. Because the top is wide, it will create large peel areas. By tilting you minimize those.

If you like, email me the stl file at info@junction3d.com and I'll support it for you.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
flameswithin
Novice

Postby flameswithin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:03 pm

mongerdesigns wrote:I think that's too many supports. You're better off tilting that ring and supporting it that way. Sort of how you did it earlier. Because the top is wide, it will create large peel areas. By tilting you minimize those.

If you like, email me the stl file at info@junction3d.com and I'll support it for you.

Sure, I'd love to see how you'd do it. I'll have the STL to you in a few minutes. Thanks!
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:34 am

Ok. Supported and emailed it to you. Should work.

Also, noticed that your file showed some errors in Netfabb. Repaired it.

2.jpg
1.jpg
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:35 am

Emil
Did you use a program to add the supports or manually?
flameswithin
Novice

Postby flameswithin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:01 am

Hey Emil, thank you so much for taking the time to support my model. I've been working under the idea that models pretty much need a forest of supports, hah. I would never have imagined a ring this heavy would grow with just a single ring of support like that. However, there is a problem. As I said, this is a really big ring, and even at its narrowest point, it doesn't fit on the 48x27 build platform oriented this way.

If you look back up at the time I tried to grow the ring on its side, you'll notice it's actually rotated even on its side to make it fit, heh.

I tried a grow today with a completely new support approach (and a higher exposure time) that grew almost perfectly. I still got a tear on one side of the top, but I'm pretty sure I know a solution to this and will be trying again in the morning. If it works, I'll post images to show what I did. If it doesn't work, I will try growing it on its side again with a support structure similar to yours! Thanks again!

EDIT: I almost forgot! I'm not surprised it didn't pass in netfabb. I'm still fairly new to CAD and this was my first big project I'm taking through to fulfillment. The ring is actually made of 3 unjoined pieces (the ring body, and the two cross platforms on top), because they didn't boolean together cleanly. However, they are each completely solid on their own, and they overlap so completely that they make a solid object when sliced in CW.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi,

With CW you can zoom the projector out a bit and just change the build size settings on the machine configure page. Looks like you just need to zoom out a small amount so the exposure time should be the same.