Strange surface after curing

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
meshmaker
Novice
Strange surface after curing

Postby meshmaker » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:49 pm

These are one of my first batches of prints. The prints themselves came out great, however after curing they have a very light discoloration on some parts of the surface. These parts were cured under water for roughly 2hr in a nail bed. Is there such a thing as over curing? This is the B9 Emerald. I gave the parts a quick wash with IPA before rinsing in tap water before curing.

I cured another piece without using water and this discoloration did not happen. Which is an easy enough solution, I can quite using water. But I have noticed others using water as well and was wondering if anyone has come across this before.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Attachments
20160902_140456_1472848234549_resized.jpg
20160902_142830_1472848236835_resized.jpg
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: Strange surface after curing

Postby Archerm » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:51 pm

I have never used water with a uv light and have never had issues. I don't see the need for water using a uv lamp.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Alcohol and then water is a bad combination. However that shouldn't affect the casting.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
meshmaker
Novice

Postby meshmaker » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Not sure why I wanted to try it under water. I guess I was hoping for a quicker curing time. And I'm still trying to figure out what works for me.

That was my next question. If the castings will be affected. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

So alcohol rinse and then just air dry before curing?
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Since elemental oxygen inhibits the curing of the resin (see the CLIP printer for this fact in practical application), the principle is that by curing the resin under water or other clear UV passing medium, you get a quicker surface cure than in air.

The white coating in my experience comes from an interaction of the alcohol, resin residue and water with exposure to UV light. As mentioned in a previous thread, it is cosmetic in nature and has not been seen to have a negative impact during casting.