small section failed on print

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Ted Broadside
Novice
small section failed on print

Postby Ted Broadside » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Does anybody know why this small section failed to print? have i not supported it correctly? are the supports not thick enough? It was also printed square on so should something like this be angled slightly? also part of the ring seems sunken inwards. can anybody explain this as well?

thanks
Attachments
inside ridge.PNG
side fail - Copy.PNG
front fail.PNG
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: small section failed on print

Postby Archerm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Your supports are kind of small for main supports. I would make them a larger diameter with a cone point where they attach to the piece. That support probably detached or broke then reattached later in the print. You also still have some areas that need support. See that line under the center of the flower? That is because you need to support the lower part of the dome shape in the middle of the flower.
Ted Broadside
Novice

Postby Ted Broadside » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks Archerm, I'll try and support it better, see how that goes. perhaps something like this??
Attachments
supports.PNG
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:33 pm

Did you print it again. That looks better.
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Those original supports look too flimsy. If they were supposed to be vertical, they are all bowed out now. If you increase the diameter some, like an additional 0.5 mm, that might stiffen them up more.

Archerm gave you lots of good tips as well, so hopefully your print came out better the second (or third) time around.
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 pm

The supports look much better, but I would use a different base.
You only need a 0.3mm think base and I would use a circular base with a hole cutout of the centre.
The base is only there to support the supports :-0
Attachments
support-base-0.3mm-thick.jpg
Ted Broadside
Novice

Postby Ted Broadside » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks everyone, I reprinted it with slightly thicker, tapered supports and I angled it as well. Came out perfect. I also printed another square on ring like the cad picture in the thread with thicker supports, and that came out perfect as well. I've also taken on board the base comment. thanks very much. :D
Attachments
Side print.PNG