print sticking to film

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
cruew
print sticking to film

Postby cruew » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:18 am

Hello everyone!

I’ve been having trouble printing my pendant for some time now.

I don’t know if it’s because of the supports or something I noticed during the printing process.

The issue that I have identified is that whenever the wax pendant on the build platform goes down into the vat and comes back up, part of the wax pendant clings to the film and pulls it up.

I have attached a video of the issue below :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u59inndnv6zmo ... V.mov?dl=0

It still prints the pendant but part of the pieces are either not printed or stuck on the film.

I have changed the film on the vat but I think it’s damaged from all the times I’ve had to use a tweezer to pick out the cured pieces. (New film is on it’s way)

In addition, I’ve tested loosening the thumb screws on the vat but with no luck

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Re: print sticking to film

Postby Messerbr » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Can you attach a screenshot of how you have the model supported? The video just looks like the Solus working normally.
cruew

Postby cruew » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Messerbr wrote:Can you attach a screenshot of how you have the model supported? The video just looks like the Solus working normally.

Thank you for your help!

So it's okay for the prints to cling onto the film?

I included a screenshot below of the supports on the model
http://imgur.com/a/Dfmk4

Best,
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:48 am

I think what you are seeing is the Tilt mechanism operating like it should. However if your quarts and the bottom of the film is not SUPER clean, it will stick to quart and stretch your film. Which will pull pieces off your model or cause it to crack.
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:24 pm

you might try adding more supports on the long handle of the dipper and adding a few thick supports at the bottom so that the model doesnt break off during printing. I've found that sometimes if I only use auto support with .3mm ball tips my model will detach from the supports and cause a failure. You could also try just increasing the size of the auto support tips to .4mm and that might solve it.
Attachments
Supprts.tif
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:34 pm

It could be support issues, or over exposure.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:27 am

The print should not stick to film. Otherwise it would not be able to print another layer. Be sure the vat is not too tight.
cruew

Postby cruew » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:35 am

Messerbr wrote:you might try adding more supports on the long handle of the dipper and adding a few thick supports at the bottom so that the model doesnt break off during printing. I've found that sometimes if I only use auto support with .3mm ball tips my model will detach from the supports and cause a failure. You could also try just increasing the size of the auto support tips to .4mm and that might solve it.

Thank you for the help!
I followed your advice and it printed perfectly :)

Thank you to everyone who commented, really appreciate the support and tips!!