Mis prints

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Kevin
Novice
Re: Mis prints

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:46 pm

By cleaned I mean I poured the resin into a cup through a strainer and gently wiped out any remaining chunks with a silicone spatula. There were a few pieces cured to the film, I gently pushed up on the bottom with the spatula and picked them off with the tweezers. I don't think I scratched the film, can I rinse it out with water to get a better look?
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Kevin wrote:By cleaned I mean I poured the resin into a cup through a strainer and gently wiped out any remaining chunks with a silicone spatula. There were a few pieces cured to the film, I gently pushed up on the bottom with the spatula and picked them off with the tweezers. I don't think I scratched the film, can I rinse it out with water to get a better look?

No. Don't use water or anything else to clean the film.

For the Supports, you might want to use thicker ones in the middle, so they don't flex or curve. Email me your STL file without supports and I'll check it out and support it for you.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Kevin
Novice

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Other than being curved the supports printed fine. My main concern is the failure. If you think larger supports will help I'll give it a shot.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:45 am

I find a 2mm base works best. I make a lot of my supports. 2mm from bottom up to about 10mm from target. I then tapper to 1mm 5mm away to .5mm where it touches part. Also your base layer doesn't look big enough. Might also need to be a little thicker. I also make sure my model is down on bottom of grid. I will usually go -.1 in Z to be sure. The red notice is ok.
The fails I have had that are like yours where do to holes in the mesh. Or when I did a mesh repair it through a triangle outside the edge of my ring. Was very very hard to see this unless I Zoomed way in on part.
Download Netfab and PreForm software from Fourm1. Netfab will repair mesh. Fourm1 is better to see the slices than CW.
Jubiler
Novice

Postby Jubiler » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Than you guys using forum1 software make slices and print instead Cw?
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:31 am

NO, just easier to view the slices to look for "Islands" (unsupported areas)
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 am

You cannot export stls with the Preform software so we just use the slider located on the far right of the screen to scroll through the layers to look for areas that need supporting.

To scroll through the slice images in CW you don't need to click the +/- buttons...you can grab the slider with the mouse.
Kevin
Novice

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:43 pm

My meshes are fine and there are no overhangs visible in the slice view. I've run it through a different slicer just to make sure.

My base and supports print fine, its usually just a piece of my model near the end of the build that doesn't print. I've been having success most of the time but there are still some builds that fail. I noticed that if I rotate my models 90 degrees on the z axis they come out fine.
Same .stl file run at the same time. The ring on the right was rotated 90 degrees.
you can see that the supports printed fine, it was the model itself that failed for some reason.

Is there any reason rotating a model would have any effect?
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi,

It looks like you have an overhang where it failed. If so, I'm surprised the other side and the second ring printed.
Attachments
Kevin.png
Kevin
Novice

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Ran it through the slicer to double check and you're right. Its a fraction of a mm but it is there. Guess I got lucky.