Z lift speed

General topics about 3d printing.
Waever
Novice
Z lift speed

Postby Waever » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi

I have question.
Lowering the Z lift speed means the platform will go up slower.
Will it effect the separating layer from film?

I am thinking slower speed equals lower separation force, and it will create smoother layer print. Am i right?

Btw the layer separation happens when the quartz tilting or when build platform goes up?

Any thoughts guys?
Thanks
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Re: Z lift speed

Postby Messerbr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Yes, whenever I changed my Z speed to 50 it increased my print success rate dramatically when using the Emerald resin.
drewbacca
Novice

Postby drewbacca » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm

I never thought about slowing it down for a smoother print, but it does make sense. Take the Soluscast for instance, there is a turbo mode which basically doubles "printUpZ" and "printDownZ" cutting the print time dramatically. It feels like the resin is harder than B9 Green, and that extra strength means the print would be less likely to break under the increased speed.
Waever
Novice

Postby Waever » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Yes
Emerald is very soft and easy to break.

So logically, slowering the z lift might be a good idea.

Because i look at article about sla printing with tilting resin tank. It has the function to change the tilting speed. And it's written in the article "faster tilting means stronger peeling force on printed layer, slower tilting speed means smoother layer print".

Once i almost run out of resin in my resin tank so i can clearly see what's going on at the film surface and i notice the quartz tilting doesn't do anything with the layer release. The layer release happens when the build platform moves up.

And yesterday i did a stupid test. I tightly fasten the thumb screw all the way down when install the resin tank.
Which would cause the film becomes too tight and usually result on fail print even on solusproto
So i lower my Z lift speed to 80.
And yes the print is success but the surface is very rough.
FYI my film is pretty worn out, that should add chance of failing.
Instead of fail print because of film too tight, by lowering the z lift speed the print is success print but has rough surface.

I am waiting on my new film and will correctly instal the film and resin tank.
We'll see how's the result.

Thanks
Jack_Row
Novice

Postby Jack_Row » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Don't get lift and tilt speeds confused. Z lift if how fast the build plate vertically lifts from the film/tank, but before this it tilts. You can only change the tilt speed by adjusting the profile file in the profiles folder.

When I've had issue with builds failing, reducing the tilt speed helps a lot, as the article you have read suggests.
Waever
Novice

Postby Waever » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:08 am

Jack_Row wrote:Don't get lift and tilt speeds confused. Z lift if how fast the build plate vertically lifts from the film/tank, but before this it tilts. You can only change the tilt speed by adjusting the profile file in the profiles folder.

When I've had issue with builds failing, reducing the tilt speed helps a lot, as the article you have read suggests.

So layer peel of also from the quartz tilting?
Then how tight you screw the thumb screw?
drewbacca
Novice

Postby drewbacca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Jack_Row wrote:Don't get lift and tilt speeds confused. Z lift if how fast the build plate vertically lifts from the film/tank, but before this it tilts. You can only change the tilt speed by adjusting the profile file in the profiles folder.

What is the tilt speed called? In the profile I was thinking it might be footerZ.
Jack_Row
Novice

Postby Jack_Row » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:02 pm

drewbacca wrote:

What is the tilt speed called? In the profile I was thinking it might be footerZ.

In the latest version of contour....

printDownX
drewbacca
Novice

Postby drewbacca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:34 am

Cool thanks, I was always cautious about experimenting with values I didn't know. But now that I know, I'll definitely play with some values
jellywobble

Postby jellywobble » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Where and how do I find the profile folder?

Would like to slow mine down a little (tilt speed) . I ve been using solus proto and have reduced exposures right right down from the default setting and only now is it starting to work.

At the default settings the result were as attached in the picture! my tea cup says it all on about that one!

Now when I reduced exposures to 0.75 sec the flappy bits have all but nearly vanished on subsequent tests..... nearly there now I hope!

Scale is great, the z height is totally bang on as is the Y.......... X is I think less than 0.07mm out.

I am looking to make a slightly more gentle peel action...........to alter the speed of tilt as there are a kinda faint drag lines in some areas on sides.

Do you open a folder rather than launching contour application to find the tilt speed?

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_2714.JPG
Last edited by jellywobble on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.