Base Ring support

General topics about 3d printing.
drewbacca
Novice
Base Ring support

Postby drewbacca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 am

Hello guys,

So while the Ring support feature is great for having a great grow it is quite cumbersome to clean prior to casting.

I know the question everyone will be asking is "why don't you just cast and cut off the excess later"
Well I got a one word answer, cost. Basically we pay per gram of casting, and if we were casting a platinum ring that would be an extra expense I can do without.

I've had many cases where my ring would just break under the pressure of cutting away the base, so I opted to find a better alternative.

Below is my iteration of a base support that tries to be an easier breakaway structure, while not compromising the integrity of the structure.

Thoughts of incorporating this into contour?

20170913_153226.jpg
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: Base Ring support

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 am

I use a separating disk to remove the ring support. I do leave a few mm's. I do my own casting. Except Platinum. I send my file to Tech forum and they print and cast my file.
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Re: Base Ring support

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:37 am

I used to do a similar thing in Creation Workshop before Solus Contour was released.
I would lift the ring up 3-4mm in Z, then in RhinoGold I'd create a 0.3mm base plate, and a 0.3mm wide wedge under the ring.

solus-old-supports.jpg

Now days I generally place a row of manual supports under the ring in SC.

solus-new-supports.jpg