Postby Wdshea » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:37 pm

Anyone experienced this?
Attachments
image.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: Supports fail but print success

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:18 pm

I would check the file in Netfabb after placing the supports on there. Also delamination may be the cause of that clean separation like that. Too much or too little exposure.

Also bad film. You haven't cleaned the film with anything have you?
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
toddmichael
Novice

Postby toddmichael » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:11 am

Wdshea,

Are you from Texas? Did you have these printed on 3dhubs? And yes, someone else has experienced this...

Toddmichael
3dhubs The Jewelers Bench
Toddmichael
Firestorm Cad / Jeweler / Designer
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:03 am

These were printed on bad film, i was just curious if this was common. I'm impressed it finished the print.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:52 am

If you don't mind me asking why so many supports on a basic design. I would have printed them vertically with just one larger base support on the bottom.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:09 am

Since the failed supports are all the same height and flat across the top it indicates there was an issue with the exposure at that layer. You can also see the line at the same height on the supports that survived which means they also missed the layer but were fortunate enough to connect on the next exposure.

The missed exposure could be a loose HDMI/VGA cable, mesh problem, you hovered over the CW toolbar icon at that time or a corrupt slicing file.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:19 pm

i was having problems with resolution, and i had been trying different exposures. my intent was to improve detail and i was not concerned with part removal, so i wanted to make sure lack of support(s) wasn't my issue.

also, when we actually do go to production, i will decrease the support connection with the part so i can minimize contact with the part. therefore, i'll probably still use just as many supports.

i'd rather having 100% print success, than save a little resin and have 1 failure... so far this strategy is working.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:26 pm

Just some thoughts on this subject.

I have been experimenting some with that piece I was having trouble with. I have been using a few different programs for doing the supports and base. After trying them and then making my own supports and bases, my supports booleand to a copy of the model works almost 98% perfect every time. I think that even if the model goes through Netab but the geometry from the Support programs is a bit iffy, you can loose a slice on the supports that have questionable geometry. Normally it is at the bend in the supports or at the connection to the model. I believe that it is because the Solus slices so thin which is a great thing.

Creating your own supports gives a far better print. Making sure that the supports enter the model as close to perpendicular to the model is a big factor. Eliminating the steep angle into the model eliminates most of the questionable geometry.

I will post ta few result pics with the different software and my supports later today.

Mark