Getting rid of 'flakes'

General topics about 3d printing.
ZachJ
Novice
Getting rid of 'flakes'

Postby ZachJ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Ive finally gotten some free time to really dive in to the Solus, and printed a zbrush sculpt of mine.

One thing thats been consistent on all of my prints so far are these thin slivers on the surface of the model, commonly occuring between gaps but on flat surfaces as well. They are like dry skin, basically. Is
there any way to minimize them and if not, whats the best way to remove and clean these so I have my desired smooth surfaces?

Its a bit tricky to capture on camera, but are visible in the profile pic.

Thanks!

(also as a side note, I cant seem to get the "Turn of Projector" function to actually turn off the projector, is this a software issue or am I doing something wrong?)
Attachments
IMG_7556.JPG
IMG_7555.JPG
Celtic_smith
Novice

Re: Getting rid of 'flakes'

Postby Celtic_smith » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi Zach,

I also have both of those issues as well, though I only get the flakes with the proto resin, I don't have the issue with the b9 Emerald.

Which projector are you using? I have the optoma HD37

Graeme
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:33 pm

It's important to mix the bottle of the SolusProto resin very well. Get a stick and scrape the bottom of the bottle. Then shake for a few minutes. You can also put some marbles in and shake.

If the projector is not turning off, make sure you have the rs232 cable connected and that you have the correct projector brand selection in the preferences.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
ZachJ
Novice

Postby ZachJ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Celtic_smith wrote:Hi Zach,

I also have both of those issues as well, though I only get the flakes with the proto resin, I don't have the issue with the b9 Emerald.

Which projector are you using? I have the optoma HD37

Graeme

Im using the vivitek, however Ive only tried the proto resin thus far.

mongerdesigns wrote:It's important to mix the bottle of the SolusProto resin very well. Get a stick and scrape the bottom of the bottle. Then shake for a few minutes. You can also put some marbles in and shake.

If the projector is not turning off, make sure you have the rs232 cable connected and that you have the correct projector brand selection in the preferences.

Yah, I have put in some metal paint mixer balls and Ive read the stick/wire trick, so I was surprised to still encounter this. That said, this morning I did a smaller print of the same model and had nothing but a solid, nice looking
print come out, using the same resin as last night.