new person looking for resin and mtnce advice

General topics about 3d printing.
Moria
new person looking for resin and mtnce advice

Postby Moria » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Greetings all.. first post. hope this is in the right area.

So decision made.. am going to get a Solus, but I notice most people here are using it for jewellery. My aim is to use it for very small scale model railway parts. I have determined that the smallest build area and best definition will be plenty big enough for what I want to do.

Based on that, I am looking to try and determine the best resin for very high detail and smooth finishes and also for maintenance advice.. as I may not use this for some weeks at a time. I read the part about not draining the tank but putting it in a black plastic bag, but would this be OK for, lets say, 3 weeks between usage, or should I drain everything and clean everything up completely after use.

Thanks in advance.

Graham
samatheang
Solus Expert

Re: new person looking for resin and mtnce advice

Postby samatheang » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:40 pm

For the resin, nothing can beat the Solus Proto (Orange Color in the Gallery) for best surface finish and durability. If you want to keep the resin in the Vat after printing, you can upgrade to the Aluminum Vat when you order your Solus, then you have nothing to worry about.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Like Sam mentioned, you can't go wrong with the SolusProto resin and the aluminum vat. The SolusProto can help you get away with minimal supports and also you can make the support tips very fine for easy and clean removal.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:30 am

Just a tip for resin casting, make sure you use condensation cure rubber, not addition cure. The latter doesn't cure very well in contact with the printer resin.
Moria

Postby Moria » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Many thanks.. Aluminium vat added to the list and thanks again for the info and the info re the casting.

G
manakawari
Solus Expert

Postby manakawari » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:02 am

Robert, I thought I read somewhere that tin cure silicone should be fine, you can find issues with platinum cure but tin cure should cure fine on the proto resin.

I just ordered some proto resin so id love to know for sure before it arrives because I will be needing to cast silicone molds when it does