looking to buy another 3d printer, suggestions?

General topics about 3d printing.
manakawari
Solus Expert
looking to buy another 3d printer, suggestions?

Postby manakawari » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Hey guys, so I bought my solus for use with my job.

At work I currently have a solus 3d printer , a 3 axis roland CNC machine, and a zortrax FDM 3d printer in an attempt to handle most, if not all, of the 3D work I might
come across at work.

I like having these three machines because they seem to compliment each other and fill the gap that I would have if I had just one of these rapid prototype machines.

I am now by far using my solus the most, the cnc is a very distant second and I very rarely use my zortrax.

I basically use the zortrax only when im making something very large because the resolution sucks and the post processing takes almost as long as the print itself!!

Anyway, thanks to my Solus, I feel im very well covered at work and feel I can pretty much handle any job that might come along but im currently looking to
start my own business at home, a small side business.

Id like to get a 3d printer,a cnc machine, a couple laser cutters and a fiber laser engraver as well as some other stuff and im currently researching which 3d printer id like to buy.

I love my solus a lot and I would love to buy another one for my home, but space and money is seriously limited and I think in regards to a 3d printer, im going to need a slightly larger build volume.( I guess id like something about maybe 5 inches or so??)

I looked at the form 1 and form 2 before I bought my solus and while I liked the build volume and amount of desk space it took up, I couldn't get past the crappy resolution.

comparing the solus prints to the form1/2 is like night and day...I honestly don't understand how jewelers can use that machine, it seems only usable for the simplest jobs.

anyway, what I basically am looking for, is a machine with a resolution closer to the solus, but a slightly larger build volume.

Im currently using my solus at 42xy and I pretty much plan on keeping it there, at 42xy, I believe the resolution is suitable for pretty much any job that might come along so I honestly don't feel, for my own personal use, that I even need the full capability of my solus.

Is there a machine on the market that has a resolution similar to the solus 42xy, yet provides a slightly larger build volume and is a reasonable price?

I was looking at the envisiontec machines and they look great but I imagine they are very expensive.

anyway, id love to hear suggestions or perhaps personal experiences with another machine.

Thanks!
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: looking to buy another 3d printer, suggestions?

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 pm

I don't think this is the right place to discuss other printers or get advice on what to get. Most people will tell you to get another Solus.
You might want to join other discussion forums or facebook groups for that. Let's keep the conversation strictly Solus in here ;)
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Get another Solus!

I would!
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm

sounds like you should get 2 more souls to me
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Honestly. If you are in the market for a plug and play machine no maintenance whatsoever. our company got one in 2011 we change only the trays noting else, than get the DigitalWax 028J+ (Rio grande support was outstanding when needed the 1 week).

I think this is a good platform to discuss other printers. Many craftsmen are looking for a good and reliable printer. they can see now that the Solus is a the best contender along its customer support. you need to spend big bucks to come close to the quality print and ease of use, they can see also from this forum that most issues people are facing are printing supports related.

Marc.
barth
Novice

Postby barth » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:48 am

Forget FormLabs, good resins catalogue, excellent marketing and communication but poor quality print.... Geometry and dimension are bad
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:10 pm

I looked at a lot of printers before I bought the Solus. There is no way I could justify the high prices of some of the other printers when you factor in the service and print quality of the Solus. I could buy 3 Solus printers cheaper than other printers with lesser quality prints. I own two Solus printers and haven't regretted either purchase.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 am

Like I said. Most people will tell you to stick to the Solus. Especially in here ;)

This is not the place to research, or discuss, or recommend other printers.

Locking down this topic.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/