Projector Focus Area

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
samatheang
Solus Expert
Projector Focus Area

Postby samatheang » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:03 am

For Infocus and Vivitek projector, at 25 or 42 microns XY, can the projector still focus clearly through out the build area?

My Acer H6510BD can only focus clearly in the middle and toward the top and blurry every where else on the side, so I can only print one or two rings at 37 microns XY. Thinking about switching to Infocus or Vivitek if it can focus clearly through out the build area. Thank you.
reify
Site Admin

Re: Projector Focus Area

Postby reify » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:07 am

Why did you buy an Acer?? We only recommend the Vivitek and InFocus. Can you even get it the image height to align? Did you make your own mount?
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 am

Because that's what come with my old 3D printer, Kudo3D Titan 1. Not happy with the Titan 1 at all, and I am planning to buy the Solus, so I want to check if the Vivitek and InFocus can focus clearly on the entire build plate or not at 25 or 42 microns XY without any modification to the projector lens. Thank you.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:27 am

Oh. We can get good focus and light uniformity even at the max build area.
Attachments
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (34.7KiB)Viewed 15462 times
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg (33.8KiB)Viewed 15462 times
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks for your response, Reify. I am not worry about the 42XY much because the projector usually can focus more evenly when the project size is bigger.

what I worry about is 25XY, do you happen to have a picture to show how clear and even the focus is when the printer is set up at 25XY?

Thank you.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:41 am

Here's a full build area at 25XY:
Attachments
image001.jpg
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:09 am

Thank you very much for the information, Reify. They are very helpful.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am

My pleasure. But it's a lot more than just the projector. The Titan also uses PDMS under their film which can cause a slight loss of detail due to light scattering and an unstable Z reference plane which can also cause a loss of detail and/or lines on the sides of prints.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Yeah, you are right. That's also another problem that I am having with the Titan 1, and the Titan 1's Vat is very poorly made too.

So the Solus' Vat doesn't use PDMS? What make your Vat better than the Titan 1? How durable is it? Can I leave the resin in the Vat after printing even with resins that are very strong like 3DM Castable? Thanks.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:46 pm

samatheang wrote:Yeah, you are right. That's also another problem that I am having with the Titan 1, and the Titan 1's Vat is very poorly made too.

So the Solus' Vat doesn't use PDMS? What make your Vat better than the Titan 1? How durable is it? Can I leave the resin in the Vat after printing even with resins that are very strong like 3DM Castable? Thanks.

What makes it better is that it doesn't use PDMS. No need to mix the silicone, pour it, keep it level, get rid of bubbles, make sure no dust gets on it, cure it in the oven or wait 48 hours for it to dry.
The Solus' resin tank uses a special film that lasts for a really long time and is very easy to replace. Takes about 5 min. The film never clouds, unlike the PDMS. The film is very durable, unless you scratch it or damage it with something sharp.

You can leave the resin in the tank. We recommend using the b9 emerald green castable resin, if you want to do some casting. The software already include the resin profile for it.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/