Projector Focus Area

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
samatheang
Solus Expert
Re: Projector Focus Area

Postby samatheang » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 am

Thank you for all the info, Reify. By the way, if I want to see the Solus in person, what should I do? Thanks.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:17 pm

HI,

Where are you located?
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:34 pm

San Jose, CA, USA.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Also, do you guys have to do any modification to all three type of projectors that you recommended to print at 25 microns XY? Thanks.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm

I have printed down to 20 microns with no modifications.
samatheang wrote:Also, do you guys have to do any modification to all three type of projectors that you recommended to print at 25 microns XY? Thanks.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 pm

Archerm wrote:I have printed down to 20 microns with no modifications.
samatheang wrote:Also, do you guys have to do any modification to all three type of projectors that you recommended to print at 25 microns XY? Thanks.

Thank you, Archerm. May I ask what projector are you using? At 20 XY, can you get the entire projected area focus clearly? Thanks!
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:09 am

I am excited to let you guys know I just ordered a Solus. Thank you for helping with all the questions. :)
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:24 am

Thank you and welcome to the club :)
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Tue May 17, 2016 4:43 am

you will be very hard pressed to get the ENTIRE build area in focus. it can get pretty close, but at 25xy it is difficult. i have to choose a happy medium, which means, none of the build area is in perfect focus. i believe you would have to adjust the native focal length by modifying the projector's lens to do better.

with the 10x macro filter, distortion is guaranteed on the fringe, and 100% focus is impossible. to achieve good overall focus, you need 100% UV block sunglasses, and some jewelers specs to at least see fine details while focusing. if you project onto a piece of paper, the fibers in the paper distort the projected image too much. the plastic that comes around the 10x macro lens is much better. it is a much more homogeneous layer of white, that will give you a crisp representation of what you're trying to focus. in shooting, they say, aim small, miss small.

i use a ring with very fine details, put one on the left and one on the right of the build area. pick a highly detailed layer, and begin to focus. you'll notice that it is not possible to get the ENTIRE build area in perfect focus. believe me, i've tried everything.

i do not think there is an SLA that can out perform this machine, at any reasonable price, but full disclosure, it's not a perfect system. the only drawback is the projector.