42xy lens question

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
KennyB
Novice
42xy lens question

Postby KennyB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm trying to print at 42xy for the first time and don't fully understand the +1 and +4 lens thing.

The manual says to put the +1 on top of the +4 but the curvature of the +4 lens makes it so the threads cannot mate up.

Unless I'm missing something, the two lenses can only go together and fit into the holder one way.

like this:

projector : +1 : +4 : Solus

I tried printing like this two times and each time only the base of the print came out, nothing else which I assume means the lenses are wrong and the exposure is too little to print anything but the base.

Any help is appreciated as always :D
GSJ_NZ
Novice

Re: 42xy lens question

Postby GSJ_NZ » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:48 pm

I've just checked my 42xy lenses and they're set up the same way: projector,: +1: +4: solus.
I only print at 42xy about once a month, but it works.
Sorry if im stating the obvious, but are the lenses well-seated into the holder, and is the holder fitted correctly to the projector?
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:05 am

Hi Kenny,
It doesn't matter which lens is in which order, as long as you can screw them together, and you are still able to push them into the plastic lens mount.

What resin are you using for XY42?
Did you change the exposure for XY42?
If you are using Emerald Green resin, did you change the machine profile to : B9R-3-Emerald-42xy30z.
What is your layer exposure time?

KennyB wrote: I tried printing like this two times and each time only the base of the print came out, nothing else which I assume means the lenses are wrong and the exposure is too little to print anything but the base
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:32 am

The lens manufacturer changed the frames, so some fit with the +1 on top and others with the +4 on top. It doesn't matter as long as they can screw together.

As CADjewelrySchool asked, did you change the resin profile to the 42 XY profile?
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

Ok, glad to know I'm not crazy as far as the lenses go.

I'm still using the B9 Cherry for now, I will switch to emerald when I make it through this bottle. It's working great at 25xy, casting great too so I figured, "if it's not broke...."

The lenses are in the holder nice and flush and I did switch the slicing profile and machine configure settings to 42xy.

I'm going from memory because I'm at home right now but I believe the exposure was set at 3800ms, whatever the stock profile is for 42xy 30z. It is 1000ms more than the 25xy setting, I know that.

I suppose I should just bump up the exposure and keep testing, kind of a pain though with picking the cured resin of the film each time. My 25xy prints have been 100% for a while now. Strange.

What is a good number to increase the exposure for testing? Is +100 enough?

Thanks again!

Edit to add settings screenshot
Attachments
screen.jpg
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:38 pm

Well, I've tried it up to 4400ms exposure and, while better, it still isn't printing fully.

I've tried different models, different supports, no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!
Attachments
20160611_083526.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Those supports are not right for that kind of model.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:51 pm

That was my attempt at switching things up after many fails, Monger :D I've tried printing it upside down, right side up, tiled, not tilted, everywhere from 3800 to 4400 exposure...

Always run it through NetFab, STL says it's good to go meshwise.

I started out with this support structure and it only printed the base at 3800ms.

Here is the file I'm trying to print: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohnbdm8vm5iib ... m.STL?dl=0

Just seems like I must be missing something stupid (shocker, right?) because I've been printing multiple times a week at 25xy with stock exposure settings and they print great. Why would 42xy be so much different?
Attachments
support.jpg
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:34 am

One thing is to make sure your grid is well focused in the corners. I would also not make the bottom support layer so wide. Only as wide as needed for your supports. That's a lot of drag on the tilt when growing the bracelet part.
Put your supports straight under the bracelet and at the lowest part on a laid down printing.