Broke my Solus :-(

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
robin
Solus Expert
Re: Broke my Solus :-(

Postby robin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:18 am

Jewelermdt wrote:Robin
Do you have your laptop, printer and projector on a battery backup/ surge protector? I have had a couple stop. One time as Mark said my setting reverted back to turn off USB port if no activity. Another time I never figured out why. Computer glitch or something. Be sure to turn off auto update for windows and anti-virus. Both could disrupt computer.

Yes, they're connected to a simple surge protector. I did have to change my USB setting as Mark recommended. I'm thinking of removing the anti-virus all together as that PC is reserved for the Solus. I haven't printed that much yet but CW appears to be extremely stable. My issue last time does seem to be related to that USB auto-off setting as CW was responsive to input which led to me almost breaking my printer haha (it wasn't that funny a few days ago though :D ).
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 am

If it's a new computer running Win 10, you have to check your setting now and then. I turned off Auto update. But today there a message on the screen to restart window to install an update.
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:11 am

Hey Robin.

1. I have been using IPA which I put into a small 125ml spay bottle. It works fine to spray onto the quartz or the glass window at the front of the printer.

2. I have had the printer "stop" during a print a few times. How many Mb's are the files you were printing at the time? I have noticed it is when I have 2-3 large (40-90mb) STL's files loaded in CW. CW has not problem "slicing" the build but I have noticed it uses a lot of memory as someone else previously mentioned. Also I have found CW becomes very sluggish after printing 4-5 builds, so now I close CW and re-open it after every couple of prints. It only takes a minute to re-connect and $h.

3. You're using RhinoGold/Rhino right? - I don't use the STL wizard in RG because with CW there is no need to "union" all of the objects like prongs, etc. Instead from the command line I type "mesh", in the dialog box that pops up you can adjust the slider to reduce the size of the mesh. I generally sit the slider around 3/4.

==========
robin wrote:BTW, if I do get resin smudges on the window or mirror, how do you clean it completely to remove that layer of junk that gets left over?

Almost forgot.. to go back to the main cause of this issue.. why did the printer stop in the middle of the job? I had no error messages or anything.. it was just sitting there.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:If it's a new computer running Win 10, you have to check your setting now and then. I turned off Auto update. But today there a message on the screen to restart window to install an update.

All my computes are running Windows 10 now and I've noticed that settings keep reverting back on them as well and it's really annoying! Back in the days when I used to frequent internet cafes, there was a program developed by an anti-virus company (forgot exactly, probably Norton?) that cafes used to protect their PC's from viruses or users manually installing keyloggers and stealing peoples credentials. Basically, that program would be set and the admin would say, OK from this point on, whatever new info is added will be scrapped on the next PC restart. It would be pretty useful for us if Windows 10 will keep messing our settings up. I wonder if they still make that software.

CADjewelrySchool wrote:Hey Robin.

1. I have been using IPA which I put into a small 125ml spay bottle. It works fine to spray onto the quartz or the glass window at the front of the printer.
2. I have had the printer "stop" during a print a few times. How many Mb's are the files you were printing at the time? I have noticed it is when I have 2-3 large (40-90mb) STL's files loaded in CW. CW has not problem "slicing" the build but I have noticed it uses a lot of memory as someone else previously mentioned. Also I have found CW becomes very sluggish after printing 4-5 builds, so now I close CW and re-open it after every couple of prints. It only takes a minute to re-connect and $h.
3. You're using RhinoGold/Rhino right? - I don't use the STL wizard in RG because with CW there is no need to "union" all of the objects like prongs, etc. Instead from the command line I type "mesh", in the dialog box that pops up you can adjust the slider to reduce the size of the mesh. I generally sit the slider around 3/4.

1. Does it matter what the concentration is? Most IPA's are about 70-ish percent but I found a 90-ish percent one at Sams Club. You think it'll clean better?
2. The size of my models were pretty small, between 7mb to 15mb. I was printing one model at a time, no batch printing when it happened. I'll be running $h again just to be cautious. I'd rather lose 2 mins homing than 2 hours of printing.
3. Yeah, I have RG. Awesome, thanks for the tip.
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 am

robin wrote:1. Does it matter what the concentration is? Most IPA's are about 70-ish percent but I found a 90-ish percent one at Sams Club. You think it'll clean better?
2. The size of my models were pretty small, between 7mb to 15mb. I was printing one model at a time, no batch printing when it happened. I'll be running $h again just to be cautious. I'd rather lose 2 mins homing than 2 hours of printing.
3. Yeah, I have RG. Awesome, thanks for the tip.

Hey Robin,

1. I originally sourced a 6 litre bottle of 99.9% IPA. I initially used that, then a few people advised I dilute it with water at a ratio: 70/30, but over 3-4 years of using IPA, I feel the higher the alcohol % the better (lol - not my drinking though). I do only swirl cherry in IPA for 2-3 minutes. I then drop in a zip-lock bag filled with hot water and detergent and drop in in the ultrasonic. I have used hot soapy water and swilled in a cup as well. Then cure as per your preference.
2. If the stl's were 15mb or less then any "stopping" during printing is strange. I had about 200mb on the platform one time and my computer just froze.
3. I thought you did ;-)
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:58 pm

CADjewelrySchool wrote:2. If the stl's were 15mb or less then any "stopping" during printing is strange. I had about 200mb on the platform one time and my computer just froze.

Mark's recommendation of disabling the "USB auto-off" feature under the advanced power settings makes a lot of sense as CW was still responsive. Hopefully, it won't happen again. Thanks for sharing your cleaning methods!
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:16 am

You have to be careful when you have a stop. CW will act normal because it's not using the usb after it sends the print command. Unless you stop the print from CW. But even then I have had no response to the printer if the file get corrupted. The other day I stop a print cause it wasn't printing correct. Luckily I took the platform off and hit the Z up button. Nothing doing, it just went down and it started a noise like it was going up a fraction and then back down. Shut down the printer and back on. Still doing it. Only after I pulled usb and rebooted computer did it come back to life.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:35 am

If the print stops and CW crashes it is safest to turn the Z leadscrew by hand to remove the print. After you've removed any debris from the vat (filtering is always a good idea) you need to home ($h) again so it know's where Z zero is.
jeweltool
Novice

Postby jeweltool » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:23 am

KennyB wrote:Glad to know I'm not the only one, Jewelermdt!

Misery loves company and all :D

Add one more to your list.

Our glass broke as well.

$71.00 and we will be back in business.
hx19035
Novice

Postby hx19035 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:50 pm

So glad reading about you guy's mishaps. I mean, I'm sorry...BUT I'm learning what NOT to do vicariously through you guys. LOL

Thanks!!