Trapezoid Image Issues on InFocus Projector

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
jeweltool
Novice
Re: Trapezoid Image Issues on InFocus Projector

Postby jeweltool » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:24 pm

The magnifying lenses needs to fit the video projector's lens like a filter fits on a camera lens. It does not have to screw on though.

You just want something in a holder that slides on the projector lens and stops in the exact place you need it.

You would not have to worry about scratching your projector's lens.

No fiddling to make sure the lens is on straight.

There is not much room to work in and see what you are doing when it is between the Solus printer and the video projector.
Last edited by jeweltool on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:56 pm

The lens holder goes on straight as long as you push it all the way in. It won't come off unless you pull it off. On some projectors it might not sit as snug for some reason but shouldn't matter as long as you push it all the way in. Make sure the lens itself is inserted into the holder all the way in.

If yours is a little loose and you want it to be snug, don't tape the lens holder to the projector lens. Instead put some thin tape around the projector lens, then when you slide the lens hold on there, it should be snug. No need to re-tape when you change resolutions.

@jeweltool You need to make sure you have your lens the correct way into the lens holder. The bulge has to be on the outside of the holder pointing towards the Solus. No reason why the lens should fall off by itself unless you have it in the wrong direction.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
jeweltool
Novice

Postby jeweltool » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Mine is working. Todd is having a little problem with his lens.

I am trying to convey that there could be a little bit better lens holder design for the Solus that would eliminate future problems.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:07 am

Can I get another lens holder? I feel like I'm going to break it when changing lens.
jeweltool
Novice

Postby jeweltool » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:55 am

As long as we are talking about a improved holder, maybe add an extra slot to the lens holder that something can slide into to use as a light blocker for the projector when it defaults to its start up screen to prevent it from curing the resin.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:50 am

Jewelermdt wrote:Can I get another lens holder? I feel like I'm going to break it when changing lens.

It's a super strong plastic, I'd be very surprised if it broke. I've tried stomping on one and it didn't break.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:15 pm

when installing the lens holder (with 10x lens), I start at the top then slide the bottom on. I found if I didn't do this, the top wouldn't slide on as far, but then I just noticed today, that the bottom was coming off...

furthermore, the weight of the 10x pulls the projectors objective lens angle down, which can't help.

I took a piece of foam, cut it to size, and stuck it in a manner to maintain pressure on the lens holder, back and up.

I'm set up for 25xy BTW.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:04 pm

You can also try aligning the cap so one of the silicon pads is at the top of the focus ring, I find it stays on well this way.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:22 pm

I don't have a trapezoid but I do have a slight bow on the top 47mm side. It doesn't seem to be a issue. My lens fits very well. Any way to get rid of the slight curvature?
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:12 am

if you watch when light is emitted, it is leaving the lens above the center of the lens. I believe this is why you notice the 'keystone' issue only at the top, and even with keystone adjustment it still doesn't look perfect.

also, I read that using the keystone feature causes a slight loss in resolution. I set mine at zero and put my parts lower in the frame and centered left to right. my assumption being that is where the most light is, and there is less distortion...

for what we're going to use the machine for, I do not believe this will be an issue, but may be for others.