Vat leaking

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
kharness
Vat leaking

Postby kharness » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Hello -

So it looks like my vat is leaking and the adhesive is very sticky. I do keep the resin in the vat. Is there anyway to reverse this?

thanks,
Kevin
Attachments
Solus Vat.JPG
GSJ_NZ
Novice

Re: Vat leaking

Postby GSJ_NZ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi Kevin,
I’ve had that happen, and someone here suggested curing some resin to fix the leak. It worked and I’m still using the vat a year later.

Remove all the resin from within the vat and then remove the film.
Remove almost all of the resin from around the outside edge of the vat walls but leave a small amount around the junction of the orange vat wall and black vat top plate. Then expose it to UV as evenly as possible, or as I did just put it in the sunshine and move it after a few minutes. This will cure the remaining resin and seal it. Be careful not to overheat it, or leave it in sunshine too long, you don’t want to risk warping the vat.
Obviously don’t use alcohol to clean anything to do with the acrylic areas of the vat, just microfibre cloths or pec pads. It might not work for you, ,but worth a shot.

Or buy one of those milled aluminium vats. They look real nice.
Cheers
Gary
Jack_Row
Novice

Re: Vat leaking

Postby Jack_Row » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 am

I second the alu vats. Especially if you use Proto. I also find that the rigidity of the alu vat helps with attaining and maintaining the correct film tension.