Anti-Aliasing doesn't work at 4

Wdshea
Solus Expert
Anti-Aliasing doesn't work at 4

Postby Wdshea » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:05 am

I don't understand what happened. Anti-aliasing wouldn't work when set at 4. it would not output to the projector, and when I would try to look at slices, it would not switch to the slice I select. I did a dry run with the shutter installed (and no build plate).

the strangest thing, is I set it to 2, and all of those things worked. then set it to 3, and it worked. then, set it back to 4, and it worked!

the video card is an ATI HD 3650... I don't understand wtf, but any ideas would be appreciated. furthermore, has anyone else had an issue with AA?
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Re: Anti-Aliasing doesn't work at 4

Postby Wdshea » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:50 am

I take that back, with AA set to 4, the part grew to this point, then projector stopped outputting.

obviously nothing stuck to film, bc no light was being output.
Attachments
IMG_2108.JPG
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:14 am

well, it looks like CW is unstable on win10 (for me). I opened task manager and watched the memory usage, and was able to tip the scales at 1.7gb+ memory usage...

I had a 90% print at AA set to 3, seems as if the software runs out of resources.

i'm curious if anyone else has noticed issues with the software. I will likely be reverting to win7 for (hopefully) more stable operation.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:52 am

I haven't had this problem with the AA and I've printed at 4 before. Is it happening with one specific stl or all? Any chance you are hovering over the toolbar icon? Maybe the HDMI cable is loose?

Edit: Next time your slices are black can you check the preferences under the file menu and make sure the foreground colour didn't switch to black.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:21 pm

i don't understand it at all. i do hover the toolbar to see if an image is being sent to the projector, but that will also be blank. i got 65% through a print today (AA @ 4) and it stopped outputting. mem usage was at 1.2gb... i may revert to win7, because on my wifes comp it'll run AA at 4 fine, and her comp has maybe 2gb of ram and running win7.

several people have complained about resource usage in CW on buildyourownsla.com. i just want it to work with AA, without AA, no issues.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:26 am

Double check you com port and usb port settings. I use Win 10. At first it was changing back my settings. Ports need to be always on. Make sure Idle setting are turned off for ports and power settings.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:21 am

I know it's the AA, bc all I do is change it to 2, and everything prints normally, RAM usage is stable. I believe it may have to do with our models... we are using very hi-res models, when looking at mesh in netfabb, until you zoom in is there more gray triangle lines than green. I believe this may have something to do with that,and the other part may be CW isn't exactly professional grade software.

I hope they're working on it, I see on their forum they want programmers, i'm sure they're trying their best to get it as good as the B9 software. it would make sense for the software to slice the entire file and store the slices temporarily on the HD. it appears the software slices during printing (according to RAM usage).

these are all fresh installs of windows, with the latest drivers.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Make your stl files smaller. There is no reason for so many polygons. Need to optimize. My most complex files are like 50mb max.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:05 pm

our files are between 60-75mb, and before exporting from netfabb i optimized with tolerance set at .001, though I don't know what that means.

what we found is that the solus is so precise, we are able to get much rounder, smoother, and better surface with the extra resolution. though we use a centrifugal disc finisher, which offers exceptional finishing speed, we'd like to limit the amount of material necessary to be removed.

the thing is with AA the details look much better with it on, as well as the "fineness" of the surface is so much better. Our goal is a 24hr turn around on our products. since we have 4 step finishing process, everything at the front ends counts, because the last media is the ceramic in a vibratory, and we'll run it probably at least 8hrs in there.

AA @ 2 is stable, and the quality is so much better than with it off, but at 4 it's really nice... do you think with a less polygons, and AA @ 4, it could be better than more polygons and AA @ 2? I'm probably going to go try that out, but any advice/speculation is appreciated.
Last edited by Wdshea on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:11 pm

i actually misspoke, the file i'm having an issue with AA @ 4 is actually only 21mb (supported). i was looking at different models that were 60-75mb.