CW Crashed Mid Print! Help

nzfinescale
Novice
Re: CW Crashed Mid Print! Help

Postby nzfinescale » Sat May 28, 2016 8:54 am

I've done around a dozen prints on the new Solus.

I'm happy with them all - not perfect, but there has been some learning going on.

However CW has crashed 3x out of the 12. Laptop completely hangs. Only a power down works. The first two times the layer was being exposed so a bit of cleanup. Last time it wasn't, so not a difficult fix.

Crash has involved 3 different files, and the failed ones worked fine on reprint, so I don't think it is my file. Crash happens around 40% through, but i don't think it's consistent - next time I'll take a photo.

I though it may have been because I was printing off the USB stick - but last time I was off the SSD, so it wasn't that.

These are not large models - less than 1MB file size last time. Software failure 1 out of 4 is going to be hard to live with though. Anyone got any thoughts?

Lawrence
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Sat May 28, 2016 9:19 am

Definitely not normal. Have you tried pre-slicing? The instructions are in the DropBox folder I sent you.
nzfinescale
Novice

Postby nzfinescale » Sat May 28, 2016 10:33 am

Hmmm... well I did look into that, but it looks like the slicing was going to take longer than the printing!

It's still an option, but it's going to take some planning ahead to implement.

L
GSJ_NZ
Novice

Postby GSJ_NZ » Sun May 29, 2016 6:20 am

Just my 5 cents worth, but how much RAM does the computer you’re using with CW have?

My laptop for CW had the stated minimum 4GB, and it was ok, but very slow in 3DView. It would sometimes crash as soon as I started orientating two models on the ground plane to print at once.
I’ve just doubled it to 8GB and the difference in CW is huge! It’s now easy to move models around the ground plane in 3DView and much quicker to slice.
I know it’s not the same situation as you’re experiencing, but I think the stated minimum memory for use with CW should really be 8GB.

Cheers, Gary
nzfinescale
Novice

Postby nzfinescale » Sun May 29, 2016 6:43 am

Hi Gary

Yes, 4GB. Upgrading the RAM was something I wondered about so good to hear that has a clear benefit.

Lawrence
nzfinescale
Novice

Postby nzfinescale » Tue May 31, 2016 11:58 pm

Upgraded to 8GB RAM. CW crashed on the second print.

Anyone have any other ideas?
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:49 am

Have you tried erasing CW and unzipping it again?
nzfinescale
Novice

Postby nzfinescale » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:16 am

I have. But will do it again.

L
nzfinescale
Novice

Postby nzfinescale » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Update...

Since upgrading to 8GB I have had no more CW crashes (except for the the one noted earlier, which is looking more and more like an anomaly). Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tip Gary.

Lawrence
nzfinescale
Novice

Postby nzfinescale » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:24 am

A quick update on crashes:

Crashes slowly got worse and worse. Updated to Contour and after initial success around 7 prints in a row crashed.

Got onto Dell, and after a number of iterations and diagnostic sessions, they decided my SSD was faulty. After waiting a week for parts I'm up and running again. Time will tell if the problem is sorted, but it seems like it was hardware rather than software. Fingers crossed.

One question it did raise though was how to recover a locked system with Contour. Opening CW and doing a manual $x works perfectly, but is hardly elegant!

Lawrence