Ben's Prints

Show off your prints.
Messerbr
Solus Expert
Re: Ben's Prints

Postby Messerbr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:11 pm

rsaldivar wrote:no doubt , looks better , what investment ? and what process did you use ?

Plasticast investment. 40/100 ratio

Cured model under 50W 405nm UV for 2 hours then 3 rounds of 2.5 minutes in water in microwave.

Used Marks Burnout:
800F - 3hrs
1450F - 2hrs
1050F Cast temp - 1hr

Poured the silver a little too hot at around 1922F (We got a new smelter that is in Celsius and I punched in the wrong numbers)
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:28 am

I am doing 36/100 now. I like this ratio the best. Investment is stronger . If you are having ash issues you can always make the attachment for a shop vac and do a quick vacuum of the flat when your disk comes back down to 1000.

Dieter
Novice

Postby Dieter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Are you using the B9 curing unit? 2hours of UV? There recemondation is 9min for heavy pieces...
Doing 30min to be sure... never tried the extra heat curing? Better results?
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:32 am

I'm still testing the heating of models. I am using SolusCast (blue resin) which Emil said Microwaving does not work for it. Not sure why. Anyway I bought a toaster oven and heated some models at 200 degrees for at least 4 hours. This was after UV curing. My problem is I sometimes print close to closing time. So I don't get too much time in the cure box. My castings came out great. This is just out of the oven, just sprayed off investment. The top rings had UV cure for most of a day.
Bottom about 30 min. of UV cure.
cast1.jpg
Attachments
cast2.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 am

Heating after UV curing can help finish up the curing process, especially inside the prints. However we found that it can cause surface cracks. If you don't get the cracks then that's good. It's possible the low temp of 200 degrees might be helping.

Good job testing that out and nice castings!
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:23 pm

200 looks like the best temp for SolusCast. I tried a ring at 250 and did get a crack in the bottom of the shank. Was able to salvage it using wax since it would at the spru spot.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:21 pm

120 deg. for 5 hours , for the blue
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 am

Yep I put two dog disks in oven at 200 for 3 hours. Came out warped and cracked. These were about 2mm thick. Will give your suggestion a try. Do you put your models in any type of liquid? Or just on the rack. Need a quicker cure for my models. I am so busy I can't wait 2 days for something to cure.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:31 pm

I put them in directly when I heart cure in the oven , lately Im using the lizard lamp I just bought , I only use this and the quanz lamp because the lizard lamp provides so much heat I have to determine how far away to put it, for the right amount of heart , and as far as quickness for solcast , for me THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED , its only for jobs that can wait the 2 days but need the extra fine detail it provides over the other resins , in my opinion , the green is more for speed , you would need to determine how much detail verses how fast do you need it , for me the blue is gold , just not quick in curing , I do no less than 5 - 8 hours and sometime up to 24 hours , but thats me , my customers want is faster , no doubt , but I always come back with , I can have it faster or with an extra day , with as much detail as poss. , what would you prefer , you can imagine what they choose
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Trying out the "Turbo" Mode with the emerald and have had a 100% success rate on the prints. Here's a skull pendant that was printed. First half of the print has a different texture than the last half but both are pretty smooth.
Attachments
Skull 005.jpg
Skull 002.jpg
Skull 001.jpg
Skull 004.jpg
Skull 003.jpg