finally found time to experiment with solus proto

Discuss 3d printing resins
manakawari
Solus Expert
finally found time to experiment with solus proto

Postby manakawari » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 pm

ok so I was initially disappointed with the solus proto because I found that despite post curing, the prints did not survive standard vulcanization but after some experimentation, I found a method that works extremely well.

two very important things, the first is that never vulcanize the same day as you print.

the prints need to sit overnight.

also post cure under uv at least a couple hours each side.

after you post cure, you need to heat the prints at a low temp for a while.

I bought a cheap presto pot for under 20 bucks at sears that works great.

I set the pot to 250 degrees and place the prints in the pot covered for an hour then I slowly raise the temperature to 325..all in all I let them cook about 4 hours.

this seems to toughen up the prints so they easily survive vulcanization.

happy printing!
Chalamba
Novice

Re: finally found time to experiment with solus proto

Postby Chalamba » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Thank you, thats very useful information.
I bought the proto to use for direct mold making, but i got very disappointing reaults as well.
We developed silicon which suits us best. Bakes at 80C, has great elasticity and still it has good hardness and the best is it has next to zero shrinkage, anyway.
No matter what i tried Proto was sticking so badly to the silicon it was impossible to remove the model without destroying the mold, and if somehow i managed to get It out i was observing another problem, micro cracks all over the model, which are very hard to remove on metal.
I gave up on proto, but i will try again the way you suggested.