B9 Yellow Castable Resin Testing

Discuss 3d printing resins
M-Williams
Solus Master
Re: B9 Yellow Castable Resin Testing

Postby M-Williams » Sat May 07, 2016 2:31 am

Yellow resin is so far our best resin for Casting . I would encourage anyone to give it a shoot. I dont have any dog in the fight B9C is a lousy machine.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Sun May 15, 2016 5:40 am

what is the default yellow exposure time for 30z? and 25z if you made a profile for that.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:51 pm

What's the shrink percentage from model --> finish (gold) for the B9 Yellow? How would you compare it to the Cherry? Thanks.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:30 am

Thanks to Robert Howle for helping me out on this one. For those interested in the B9 Yellow shrinkage, it goes down by 1.5% for light rings and 3% for bulky (mens) rings so model at exact finish size and scale up to compensate. Note, this is for direct casting, not for mold making.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Update: The B9 Yellow shrinks from model to print by a hair over half a size, haven't casted it yet. Scaling by 1.5% isn't enough. I ran a second print at 3% to get the exact finish size wanted. According to feedback from good folks, the yellow doesn't shrink that much during casting. I noticed minimal (almost none) shrinkage between uncured and cured prints. There was a slight flashing around the base so I'll try lowering the exposure a bit.

HTH,
Robin
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Maybe I read your comment wrong Robin, but I wouldn't expect the resin to shrink during casting since the investment has already captured the shape of the object. The metal on the other hand will shrink while cooling.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:46 pm

rkundla wrote:Maybe I read your comment wrong Robin, but I wouldn't expect the resin to shrink during casting since the investment has already captured the shape of the object. The metal on the other hand will shrink while cooling.

You're right. What I meant is that we still need to account for all the shrinkage that happens during the process... I don't mix well with words ;)

I don't know what's the setup with the casting houses that I use but none of them give me a consistent result. With the Cherry, I would end up with a full size smaller sometimes (casted piece).. thermal expansion is a PITA.
DRVSEQUOIA
Novice

Postby DRVSEQUOIA » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi,

I have this B9 yellow resin.

Are the numbers in the contour profile correct, ready to use?
Also, what is the way to get arround the sticky problem?

Thanks,
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Yes, the profiles in Contour are ready to go. You can lower the Z Lift Speed to 50 for the yellow.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
hx19035
Novice

Postby hx19035 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Has this resin been proven reliable in the Solus these days? I remember in the beginning people were complaining about it sticking to the film, etc. It seems like this stuff is more cast-friendly than the Emerald or even the Cherry. Am I thinking in the right direction?