Resin recommendation

Discuss 3d printing resins
robin
Solus Expert
Re: Resin recommendation

Postby robin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:31 pm

rkundla wrote:Different resins seems to off-gas differently. I've been able to be around B9 yellow and red/cherry much longer than MakerJuice G+ or some of that really noxious resin from Bucktown Polymers.

If you really want to be safe, buy a fume hood for the printer setup and vent it outdoors away from doors or windows. The use of activated carbon filters with other chemical filters could be used for indoor venting if you cannot cut a hole in the wall for the piping.

so something like this should work?

http://www.parts-express.com/solder-fum ... wedProduct
Storen
Novice

Postby Storen » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:54 am

I haven't seen the printer but I wonder would it be possible to modify the plate behind the lead screw to attach a small comuter case fan. It doesn't have to be powerful, just enough to move the fumes in a small pipe connected to a duct. It is going to be ugly tho. I would rather use resins that aren't toxic like the MakerJuice wax and the one from Formlabs.
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:18 pm

robin wrote:so something like this should work?

http://www.parts-express.com/solder-fum ... wedProduct

Normally you are trying to get rid of organic compounds and those types of filters I don't think really do much. The fume hood collects the fumes and vents them out to the greater atmosphere, where they dissipate into a significantly larger volume of air. You would have to funnel the airflow directly into that unit with no other leaks to be useful.

You would need a much thicker carbon filter to have a chance at absorbing the fumes and the filters don't last too long before they lose their effectiveness.