Emerald prints cracking in microwave

Discuss 3d printing resins
rkundla
Solus Master
Re: Emerald prints cracking in microwave

Postby rkundla » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Personally, I think the goal is to get rid of as much of the uncured resin as possible. Microwaving in water helps leech out more of the uncured resin from the print so it doesn't react with the investment during the initial setting phase.

I've moved to a alkaline bath to try to neutralize the acidic nature of the resin (it is an organic acid after all). The surface quality of my castings have been coming out well (B9 Green and Plasticast at 38:100) in sterling silver, so I am happy. :D

It also helped I drilled two holes in the bottom of my Paragon kiln to let more combustion air into the cavity. ;-)
jeweltool
Novice

Postby jeweltool » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:24 pm

What did you add to make an alkaline bath?
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 pm

I use Alconox to clean my beakers that I use for plating and other resin cleaning activities.

https://alconox.com/product-catalog/#p1

A 1% solution of alconox has a pH of 9.5. I put the print in a beaker with the alconox solution and run it in my Harbor Freight ultrasonic for about 8 minutes (480 seconds).

I typically do this after I do my UV cure.
jeweltool
Novice

Postby jeweltool » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Well. anyone who doesn't have an LED curing lamp, can always use oven curing . 175 F for a good hour is as good as the best of LED's. no casting failure due to curing anymore.
I have experimented with few resins. Though, I'm a fan of the cherry resin it prints great and casts flawless,always. Just shake well before every use.

Marc.