Another Castable resin

Discuss 3d printing resins
Huebee
Another Castable resin

Postby Huebee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 am

Hi there,
i am testing a castable resin from a german company in the moment. I need some help with the settings. Maybe some one could explain to me how the resin would behave, if i change the numbers in contur settings.
Settings like:
z Lift speed
z Lift distance
Exposure buffer time

I allready did some prints with the resin and got step by step better results. Now i came to a point, where i dont know how to get rid of the major weakness.
I think a picture will describe the problem i am facing as best:
For me it looks like the resin does not have much capability for overhangs and the projector bulb power is to hight, thus the uv light scatters.
After going down with the layer eposure i got more details, but the scatter did not disappear entirely.
Now i added a drop of black pigment, and got even better results but still a liitle scatter.
Please let me know your ideas what i could do to improve printability of this resin.

My last settings for this resin in Contur::
z Lift speed 130
z Lift distance 4
Exposure buffer time 2
Layer exposure 1.14
Attachments
P1010019.JPG
Black pigment added, improved detail, but still not perfect
P1010018.JPG
P1010017.JPG
P1010025.JPG
This is how i started. Resin seems to have not much capability for overhangs
P1010024.JPG
This is how i started. Resin seems to have not much capability for overhangs
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Re: Another Castable resin

Postby rsaldivar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:12 pm

man just wait for the soulscast , this will fix all you growing and casting problems , that one you have doesnt look like as fine detail the the soulscast that will be reliced soon
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:47 pm

You have the cherry resin.It prints and casts wonderful, all the time. Marc.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 am

M-Williams wrote:You have the cherry resin.It prints and casts wonderful, all the time. Marc.

Marc. Obviously if this was the case more people would be using it, b9 wouldn't be releasing new resins to replace it, and we wouldn't be releasing our own resin. But again, that's the beautify of the Solus, you are free to use any resin you wish. Go with what works for you.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:23 am

I totally agree with you. There is no more versatile open source and maintenance free machine than the Solus . unbeatable when it comes to quality print.
Huebee

Postby Huebee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi , and thanks for your answers.
i would not get involved in this time consuming resin testing, if it had not the chance to be a good alternative for any castable resin, especially if there is the prospect to cast this resin in normal gypsum investment used for normal wax models. The company developing this resin is providing good casting services for wax models. They said that they are trying hard to develop a resin that can be integrated in theire normal casting process for wax models. They allready did a test print for me with this model in the pic on a form 2 printer, and also did the castin of it. And thats what came out, see pics. The resin is still in beta, and promising if it burns without resdue as they say.
I want to have it work for the Solus, but dont know if i can get rid of this weaknesses decribed above by tweaking the settings of contur, or if this company has to futher improve the resin propertys, to get it work for the Solus.
Here in germany ,france ... we dont find foundrys that give consistend casting results for the B9 emerald resin. I have tried so many but they all dont want to adjust to the burnout process.
Attachments
Form2 print casting (2).JPG
Form2 print casting (4).JPG
Form2 print casting (3).JPG
Form 2 print (3).JPG
Form2 print
Form 2 print (2).JPG
Form2 print
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi Huebee

" They said that they are trying hard to develop a resin that can be integrated in theire normal casting process for wax models."
I doubt that this can be accomplished since resin has to be brought to a higher temperature for a longer period of time then wax (when casting).

I did some testing on the Solus with Formlabs castable 02 resin and it works well on flat pcs. but on rings there was always over exposure
resin at the bottom half of the shanks as I can see on your picture.

Get a SolusCast model when it comes out and test on how it casts (you may get better results).