can i pour unused resin back in the bottle?

Discuss 3d printing resins
manakawari
Solus Expert
can i pour unused resin back in the bottle?

Postby manakawari » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:19 pm

unfortunately I do not have the desk space at work for a designated computer on my solus so im using my desktop.

I basically wait until the end of the day when I don't have any other work to do my prints.

Because of this setup, I cant really keep resin in the vat due to accidental exposure.

I have been tossing out a lot of resin and its expensive.

After a print, can I pour the unused resin back in the bottle?

Will this degrade the print quality?

also, my prints have been coming out great but iv noticed that im getting a small exposed rectangle of resin on my film that I believe is the projector menu?

what do I need to turn off to prevent that or is it unavoidable due to me not having a designated computer for my solus?
rkundla
Solus Master

Re: can i pour unused resin back in the bottle?

Postby rkundla » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:48 pm

You should really store resin that has been used in the printer in a separate bottle to prevent any form of contamination. An opaque HDPE or PP plastic bottle would work or those brown glass bottles that are UV resistant can be used. A good cap with some sort of gasket helps prevent any volatile components of the resin from off-gassing.

It is recommended to filter the resin to strain out any small bits of cured resin or other debris so it doesn't interfere with printing later.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Just filter it well.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm

I wouldn't
manakawari
Solus Expert

Postby manakawari » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 pm

thanks guys!
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:41 am

If you print every day or even every other day, just leave it in the vat. Cover it and place in a drawer. Stir it up before use. This is what I do. I have a old peroxide bottle I pour mine into if not printing for a few days. You need a dark colored bottle that won't allow any light in. Don't want to risk messing up the good bottle of resin. Could be expensive.
Jack_Row
Novice

Postby Jack_Row » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:12 am

When you are not using the printer, just place a bit of card or the orange plastic uv rectangle, that came with the printer, in front of the window at the front bottom of your machine. This will prevent natural light or light your projector hitting the mirror inside the Solus and curing the resin form underneath. You can keep the resin in the tank then.
SWDesign
Novice

Postby SWDesign » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm using a brown glass bottle that my vitamins came in and a refillable Keurig kcup with metal mesh for the filter. It fits perfectly on top of the bottle. The bottle is easy to stir and stick the measuring syringe in. I only do that if I have a failed print since it's pretty easy to store the vat if you wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in a box or drawer. I go a little further and put a foil bubble pack on top. It's fine for weeks at a time, just stir it carefully before use. Happy printing.