Too much flux or heat?

Discuss casting techniques
Dstonic
Novice
Too much flux or heat?

Postby Dstonic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm thinking both a flux issue and might have over heated the 14ky? Resins cured 46 hrs with two 20w up close up lamps (the ones we are all usingom this forum) boiled and are em green b9. Using the oven burn noted several times on these fours. Three other flask casted normal but this one..... thank you...David
Attachments
IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG
IMG_1706.JPG
Dstonic
Novice

Re: Too much flux or heat?

Postby Dstonic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:02 pm

I just realized after talking with Len that I did leave the ring support that I grew the ring with "on". I should have cut that off and attached a "wax" sprue..... MY BAD !!!

Also.....I was hurrying up my models along and attached it all wrong at the sprue base....another BAD.
I will grow again and post my results. Just bet that the fact I left the resin ring support base did not help....should have been wax there and better tree attaching too.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Looks like investment breakdown from steam inside the cavity or investment breakdown from uncured resin. Really looks like steam breakdown.?

Also your spruing needs to improve way to many sharp corners. Those short sprues wont work properly when casting. Almost looks like when you twisted the base off you took a big chunk of investment off as well. If that was the case the investment wasn't totally set up and your models twisted in the investment as well. This will cause that poor casting.

You also could have quenched the flask to soon.

Way to many variables without seeing the total process you used.

Work on your spruing and investing. Some might disagree but Spruing Investing and Casting is a art.
Last edited by Archerm on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Spuing and the button metal insures a constant flow of metal and serve as a metal cooling device.
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:22 pm

So many things could go wrong to create that kind of look. Investment breakdown for sure. Caused by what however? Too hot metal? Resin expansion? Bad investment mix and cure?

I refuse to use resin gates because it does not melt away to leave a void to allow air to enter the cavity by the print.

One thing I have found to be helpful is to leave a bigger piece of the main sprue at the end (tip?) to allow the metal to slam into something (centrifugal casting) other than my printed object.