Success curing and casting Emerald green resin

Discuss casting techniques
Just Bob
Novice
Success curing and casting Emerald green resin

Postby Just Bob » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:26 pm

Emil asked me to post about my experience casting the emerald green resin. Truthfully I have struggled for a few months trying to get this down. I spoke with Mark Miller---MY HERO!-
Gave me some Direction and told me what he did to have the great success that he has.

My procedure varies just a little bit from Mark-- but he's the one who put me on this. Publicly - thank you so much Mark!

Obviously my two problems were curing and wait time. Was getting some really crappy castings

Emil told me about this wonderful little UV curing nail dryer

https://www.amazon.com/MelodySusie-Pro6 ... 012MMYEZ0/

It works exceptionally well the only drawback I see is that the maximum time of any curing cycle is 60 seconds and for me I keep it next to my workbench and just tap it and do about ten Cycles so total of 10 minutes curing.

Mark told me about using distilled water in the microwave for 3 cycles of 2 minutes 40 seconds each letting it cool in between

38/100 plastic cast investment. And Mark mentioned - it's extremely important to let the flask bench cure for at least 6 hours without the cap on

On my oven controller is set in the ramp time to full - which I assume means that it goes as fast as it can to the desired temperature. My desired temperature is 800 degrees and I hold for an hour and a half. I let it fast ramp up to 1400 for three and a half hours. And then my casting temperature is 700 degrees.

Here's a casting from this morning. About to put it in the tumbler now

Bob
Attachments
20160831_075430.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: Success curing and casting Emerald green resin

Postby mongerdesigns » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Bob, those look like some of the best castings I've ever seen! Great job.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
pmauddib
Novice

Postby pmauddib » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Very nicely done. We just started doing the microwave thing here with good success. Unfortunately we can't let the flasks sit for 6 hours in our production environment, so our final castings are good, but not as good as yours.
Just Bob
Novice

Postby Just Bob » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 pm

mongerdesigns wrote:Bob, those look like some of the best castings I've ever seen! Great job.

THANKS!!

B
Just Bob
Novice

Postby Just Bob » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:32 pm

pmauddib wrote:Very nicely done. We just started doing the microwave thing here with good success. Unfortunately we can't let the flasks sit for 6 hours in our production environment, so our final castings are good, but not as good as yours.

Glad you've found your stride with it in a production setting!

Thanks!
Bob
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:43 pm

Nice casting! I assume that is out of the pickle or is that straight from deflasking?

At what point do you remove the rubber base? After the recommended two hour green strength time and then go for six more hours?

I will have to try to skip the 300F step, since I assume that is to help remove the residual water from the investment and help the wax liquify before ramping to 700F to start the resin burn. I guess I have a test to run this weekend. ;)
Just Bob
Novice

Postby Just Bob » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks! just after ultrasonic the last of the investment off....I take off the cap as soon as the top of the flask is hard enough to scratch the flask name on it. Prob 20mins max.

Then rest it for Mark's recommended 6 hrs.

No special ventilation for the oven.

Bob
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:41 am

Hey Bob! I am really glad your casting is working well. As you mentioned all the steps are important. You can't rush the steps and get the same results. It took me a while to figure it out. I have been curing and casting the Emerald resin with 100% success for 6 months. You are on your way my friend!! Congratulations!! Mark

Here is one of the pieces I cast today. The model was printed in 20z with emerald. This picture was taken right after casting and only a wire brushing was done to the casting.

Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:57 am

The key is to vaporize the emerald resin before it has a chance to damage the inner surface of the investment cavity. The only way to do that is with a fast ramp up. That is why you need to let the flask set for a minimum of 6 hours. Mine actually set overnight in the oven and I start my burnout the next morning. No modifications have been done with my 30 year old oven.
Just Bob
Novice

Postby Just Bob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks Mark! Yeah man it's starting to click a little bit now thank you for the leg up :-)

Another great casting - that ring is incredible! Look at the detail on the billfish!!

Bob