Casting SolusCast

Discuss casting techniques
Storen
Novice
Re: Casting SolusCast

Postby Storen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:28 pm

I also ran a couple of tests. They both failed miserably. The first was a complete disaster. Second was a moderate failure.

For the purpose of testing I drew a simple asymmetrical ring with some details. For the first test I used Plasticast and Argentium Pro from Rio. I cured the model for 2 hours (1 in air and 1 in water), followed strictly the resin burnout instructions and used the temp-ramps suggested by Emil (28F/min) in another tread. The result was less than disappointing and went straight for scrap.

For the second test I decided to make few changes: Cured the ring for one more hour (total of 3h with the B9s curing unit). I used Optima instead of Plasticast, mixed it 36:100 instead of 38:100. I used more relaxed ramps - 9F/min instead of 28F/min. I raised the temp of the peak burnout phase from 1415F to 1495F. The result was better than the first one but still pretty bad as you could see from the pictures (the attached pictures are from this, second test). The same problem as with the first test although in slightly smaller degree - the investment is breaking from the resin expansion during burnout. There are also some small dents and black residue at the top portion or the ring suggesting incomplete burnout.

@printcast: Actually I think your tests turn out much better than mine.
Attachments
SolusCast Tests1287.jpg
SolusCast Tests1295.jpg
SolusCast Tests1307.jpg
SolusCast Tests1308.jpg
Last edited by Storen on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Storen
Novice

Postby Storen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Few more pictures showing the ring from all sides:
Attachments
SolusCast Tests1317.jpg
SolusCast Tests1318.jpg
SolusCast Tests1319.jpg
SolusCast Tests1320.jpg
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:12 pm

I just put that same ring printed with Emerald in the burnout furnace because that ring is an order it needs cast and shipped. While that is processing I also made another Emerald and another SolusCast print which are both curing right now. Those two will be cast together in the same flask. Just to prove to myself it's not an investment or process issue assuming the Emerald cast clean and SolusCast doesn't.

Our cast results are very similar. The prints are absolutely amazing, the cast not so much. Is that orange SolusProto? That stuff is amazing! That print is incredibly smooth. Proto looks very impressive as far as printing is concerned.
Storen
Novice

Postby Storen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:44 pm

printcast wrote:Is that orange SolusProto? That stuff is amazing! That print is incredibly smooth. Proto looks very impressive as far as printing is concerned.

Yes, the orange print is from SolusProto with 10 microns layer thickness. The surface quality is impressive. It could be used for direct RTV molding without any additional surface treatment.

Thank you very much for taking the time to make the comparison tests with Emerald!!! I don't have Emerald so I couldn't test that myself.

I can't wait to see your next result.
A.Joa1
Novice

Postby A.Joa1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Hmmm.... my high hopes for this new resin are loosing altitude.
Dieter
Novice

Postby Dieter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:41 pm

@printcast can you share you're burnout for emerald (optima investement) please?
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Sorry, forgot.

Plasticast says bench investment for 2hrs with my size flask

SolusCast resin schedual
2hr @ 300F
1.5hr @ 725F
2.5hr @ 1415F
1hr @ 1220F
1hr @ casting temp
Full Ramps

My Resin schedule
Full ramp, 2hr @ 278F
600hr ramp, 2hr @ 685F
600hr ramp, 3.30hr @ 1430F
Full ramp, 1hr casting temp

I am casting a test burnout in a bit where I am using the following on that same tire ring printed with Emerald
Full ramp, 2hr @ 300F
400hr ramp, 1hr @ 700F
400hr ramp, 2hr @ 1500F
Full ramp, 1hr casting temp

1500f is pushing Plasticast but I did add boric acid to stiffen it up. It's really more of a Plasticast test at that 1500F than a casting test. This ring can't ship until Tuesday so I figured there is time to mess it up. After this cast I'm going to get the SolusCast and Emerald going for cast together. If the 1500F works I'll use that schedule. If the 1500F does not work I'll cast those 2 with my regular "Resin Schedule".

I'll post a pic of the Emerald at 1500F burnout in a few hours if anyone is curious.
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 am

Attached is an emerald cast. Pics show it in the wax tree before investing and the out of casting with only a wire brushed to remove investment. This cast came out flawless as most of mine do. The left 2 are emerald the right 2 are SolusCast.

This was a bit of an experiment as I did run the Plasticast to 1500F. Plasticast did hold on at that temperature. There was a little boric acid added but not sure if that helped or not. Sometimes I'll try it without boric acid.

Also attached is a tree with one Emerald and one SolusCast. The emerald has a little dot of wax at the base near the sprue. You can see that in the pics. That was done to tell the difference after casting. This cast will be done in the morning. Pics will of the results will be posted.
Attachments
DSC01085.JPG
DSC01084.JPG
DSC01089.JPG
DSC01087.JPG
DSC01082.JPG
Dieter
Novice

Postby Dieter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 am

Thank you very much!!! :D
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Results from the SolusCast and Emerald prints in the same tree. A lot of boric acid was added to the Platicast which seemed to help the Soluscast but did not save it. The Plasticast was ran up to 1500F in attempt to completely burn out all resin ash. Pics will show there is a huge difference in resins so there isn't need to explain which is which, Emerald is the near flawless one. There is that little dot of wax inside the Emerald inside the sprue so that you can see which is which.
None of this testing was done to hurt Solus or SolusCast. This was only done to show results of what customers can expect to see when casting SolusCast. It is honorable for Solus to even leave this thread visible but this is an honest, real world, in the field cast test and these are the honest results. I truly and honestly wanted SolusCast to cast perfectly but in my experience it did not. Perhaps it cast perfectly for others. Do not use my test alone when considering the purchase of SolusCast. If others are casting perfectly with it PLEASE share your cast just as I did with the print in the tree and right out of investment clean up.

I am going to ask to return SolusCast. If it is not acceptable I will look up the guy that told me he would purchase my SolusCast if I didn't like it. We'll see how honorable he is.
Attachments
DSC01100.JPG
DSC01099.JPG
DSC01098.JPG
DSC01097.JPG
DSC01096.JPG