B9 Yellow Castable Resin Testing

Discuss 3d printing resins
robin
Solus Expert
Re: B9 Yellow Castable Resin Testing

Postby robin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:37 pm

hx19035 wrote:Has this resin been proven reliable in the Solus these days? I remember in the beginning people were complaining about it sticking to the film, etc. It seems like this stuff is more cast-friendly than the Emerald or even the Cherry. Am I thinking in the right direction?

I'm using the B9Y exclusively on my Solus. I lowered the Z-lift to 50, might up it to 75 for less detailed models or those printed flat on the buildplate. I also lowered the exposure a bit. Whatever fails I have now are sticking related but can be solved by doing what was mentioned earlier and by thickening the support diameter from 1.0mm to 1.2 w/ ball points and adding a few manually for "structural" strength using 1.5mm thick w/ 0.6mm regular tips (mostly used on gents ring models). I'm hoping the tilt upgrade kit will help with the peeling process so I can increase the z-lift again. I'd like to stick to a 2.5-3 hour max print time for vertical rings.
Dieter
Novice

Postby Dieter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:58 am

The tilt upgrade kit???
Never heard about that...
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Dieter wrote:The tilt upgrade kit???
Never heard about that...

I haven't either but I ordered one and had it installed yesterday. Ran a print overnight and it come out great (as usual). I don't know if I'll notice the difference but I use the B9Y resin (extremely sticky) and I'll do anything that could possibly help me avoid any fails. I did notice that I haven't heard any popping sounds (so far), time will tell.

The installation is pretty easy, especially if you do it while watching the how-to video. The only part that I recommend having two people for is when trying to open/close the printer bottom part. That point is tricky as you have to lift the printer, hold it steady, and remove the boards apart while making sure you don't pull on those wires and rip one off. It's not as hard as it sounds though. I did it by myself and I'm not the gentlest of guys.
DRVSEQUOIA
Novice

Postby DRVSEQUOIA » Wed May 17, 2017 9:04 pm

I have been printing with the B9 yellow since novembre, very good details. Prints fail from time to time, but that is generally due to a dirty film or dust in the resin.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Robin ,
I'm hoping the tilt upgrade kit will help

what is this ??
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu May 18, 2017 6:46 pm

It's a replacement tilt motor. If yours is working fine you don't need to replace it.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
smokepl
Novice

Postby smokepl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:38 pm

hx19035 wrote:Has this resin been proven reliable in the Solus these days? I remember in the beginning people were complaining about it sticking to the film, etc. It seems like this stuff is more cast-friendly than the Emerald or even the Cherry. Am I thinking in the right direction?

Hi,
Did you had a chance to use both yellow and green resin? Can you share you experience with them? I been using green for almost two years but I would like to try and switch to yellow. Do you think this is a good idea? Thanks!
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

smokepl wrote:

Hi,
Did you had a chance to use both yellow and green resin? Can you share you experience with them? I been using green for almost two years but I would like to try and switch to yellow. Do you think this is a good idea? Thanks!

Why are you looking to switch?

I've tried both, started using the yellow and it was a PITA due to how sticky it is. I had to replace my films much more often. I got fed up and moved to the Emerald.

I've used 3 bottles of it so far and on my last refill, I opted to get the CCW resin. I'm loving it so far. It prints a bit faster, offers better detail, smells less. It's still too early to say how reliable it is in casting for me. I just got it in the past weeks.
smokepl
Novice

Postby smokepl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Why are you looking to switch?

I've tried both, started using the yellow and it was a PITA due to how sticky it is. I had to replace my films much more often. I got fed up and moved to the Emerald.

I've used 3 bottles of it so far and on my last refill, I opted to get the CCW resin. I'm loving it so far. It prints a bit faster, offers better detail, smells less. It's still too early to say how reliable it is in casting for me. I just got it in the past weeks.[/quote]

NYC casters are PITA when it comes to casting. They superb stubborn and stick to 30 years old casting procedures. They don`t fallow any chart instead of been modern. They change burnout a little here and there but nothing major. Emerald was kind of universal for them "good and acceptable casting" rarely perfect. I heard that yellow cast better so I was thinking that maybe I can improve casting a little. I have previous experience with tiger burgundy resin, casting was good but they price is way too expensive. I bought botle of CCW last week. It seems to be identical to tiger resin, maybe little lighter in color. I should have first silver casting today from it so I have my fingers crossed.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm

[quote="smokepl"]
NYC casters are PITA when it comes to casting. /quote]

HA! I'm in the same boat as you are. I don't want to bad mouth certain casters publicly so PM me and we'll compare notes!