So what is up with SolusWax Pro?

Discuss 3d printing resins
sochin
Novice
Re: So what is up with SolusWax Pro?

Postby sochin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:05 pm

rkundla wrote:(30 min steam dewax

I was wondering if this really is like wax and you can dewax. Been so long since I was able to dewax a pot. Will give it a try. Thanks.

Do you know if general instructions for this resin (printing and burnout) are online or available?

cheers,
Sochin
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:03 am

It isn't waxy enough to steam dewax. I just did it to get the sprue out so I didn't have to worry about the dripping wax burning out inside my kiln.

There was a one sheet that came with the bottle I bought from Monger. Check with him to see if he can send you a PDF or let me know and I will scan it for you.
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:57 am

rkundla wrote:There was a one sheet that came with the bottle I bought from Monger. Check with him to see if he can send you a PDF or let me know and I will scan it for you.

Thanks. I got the resin from Mark, he is going to follow up.

cheers,
Sochin
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:11 am

I now have the instructions for the SolusWax Pro and read this.

"DO NOT USE WATER FOR CLEANING OR CURING OF SOLUSWAX PRO. WATER MAY DAMAGE THE PRINTS."

Does that mean that it is recommended to not rinse the models in water after cleaning in IPA? You dry the IPA on the surface?

I also have some questions about this next bit:

"Also the wax particle can settle and stick to the film, which then will require lots of mixing and scraping to get it off the film, and can cause print failures.
Pour the resin into another container (preferable a dark glass jar or HDPE container) for storage. "

I have always removed the tray from my printer and sealed it in an airtight bag and into a dark box after printing. With the B9 resins before printing again I put on a glove and stir the resin in the tray with my finger. This also allows me to check to feel if anything from the previous print is stuck to the film.

Has anyone ran into the issue of the SolusWax Pro sticking to the film during disuse and if so how long did it take for the resin to separate and stick? Pouring resin in and out of trays, into containers and back again wastes so much resin IMO........... unless you are prepared to let it all drain out fully.

cheers,
Sochin
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:11 pm

sochin wrote:Has anyone ran into the issue of the SolusWax Pro sticking to the film during disuse and if so how long did it take for the resin to separate and stick?

I've noticed when it is sitting around for a few days there is a settling of some of the resin on the film. It is almost a translucent white color and if you disturb the surface, you can see a white streak as the material is mixed back into the remainder of the resin. I have used a flexible silicone spatula to help mix it but it takes a lot of effort to ensure that the white portion is fully mixed back into the resin and when you rub the film with the blade, there is no residue.

I still have difficulty not making a mess when I empty the aluminum vat but the amount of waste doesn't really seem to be enough that I feel like I have lost multiple prints worth of resin.

Regards,
Ron
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:03 am

rkundla wrote:I have used a flexible silicone spatula to help mix it but it takes a lot of effort to ensure that the white portion is fully mixed back into the resin and when you rub the film with the blade, there is no residue.

Thanks Ron. The resin has been sitting in the vat for a couple of days. I put on a glove as per usual and stirred the resin with my finger touching the film gently until the film was clear. Seems to work....will have to look at perhaps draining the vat with syringes as I used to do at times if ti becomes an issue. Less mess than trying to pour the vats out.

cheers,
Sochin
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:30 am

I know it's not recommended but I leave my vat on the printer with the resin in it. I cover it with a piece of cardboard and on top of the cardboard are some packets of silica gel absorbent. I just stir it up with the spatula and start printing.
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:28 am

Jewelermdt wrote:I cover it with a piece of cardboard and on top of the cardboard are some packets of silica gel absorbent. I just stir it up with the spatula and start printing.

Thanks for the info Jewelermdt. I live in a really humid climate so have always sealed my trays after use as I started with an Asiga and their resins. The Asiga resins just died on you if they got humidity in them.

With the SolusWax Pro.....I am finding a glove on each hand, one under the film to stop stretching, and then just stir with a finger on the other hand. Mixes the resin and gets anything that has settled on the film back into the resin.

For my second cast I tried the quick ramp to 1450. Cast well but they were only light pieces. The Kevvox LC200 liked a quick burnout as well but I could never get it to work with heavier objects. Will see how the SolusWax Pro goes with heavier items soon.

cheers,
Sochin
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:17 pm

sochin wrote:For my second cast I tried the quick ramp to 1450. Cast well but they were only light pieces. The Kevvox LC200 liked a quick burnout as well but I could never get it to work with heavier objects. Will see how the SolusWax Pro goes with heavier items soon.

I think the directions said to extend the burnout another hour or two with heaver prints. I haven't tried it either so I will have to give it a go.
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 am

rkundla wrote:I think the directions said to extend the burnout another hour or two with heaver prints. I haven't tried it either so I will have to give it a go.

Give it a go if you have not already Ron. Pretty much only doing the fast ramp now. Print, invest, stand for 90 minutes and then ramp straight up. Depending on how heavy the items are I am experimenting with the hold length at the top as you mentioned.

Only issues I have had so far are minor issue on fine item detail but I am pretty sure that is a design of model and metal flow problem and not an issue with resin, investment or burnout. Nothing that I have not been able to clean up quite easily so far.

Liking this resin. Only suggestion is that if there are no issues with shelf life I would like to see it in a 1 litre bottle to reduce the price and shipping costs if it is possible. That said I do not use that much resin anyway.

cheers,
Sochin